Skip to main content
Question

How can I make ChatGPT to write a small piece of text from a given long piece of text?

• 1 October 2023
  • 3 replies

How can I make chatgpt to write a small piece of text from a long piece of text?

Hi! I want to use chatgpt to repurpose my written content, but I can’t get it to read the content I’m giving it.

As now, my steps are:

1. New row in a google sheet (where I paste a text like a blog article)
  2. Conversation with ChatGPT (where I give the prompts starting with “read the text in column B and write a piece following this structure...” and the details)
  3. Writes the answer in column C of the google sheet.

The problem is that Chatgpt is making up the content...it uses the structure and the prompt I am giving him, but not the content from the article I want to be rewritten.

Does anybody know if it is the prompt or it is the set up of the zap?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 1

@PalomaPA Are you referring and putting in the dynamic variable in your ChatGPT prompt? You have to tell ChatGPT which column contains the text you want to summarise and you must refer to it. I always recommend using parameters whenever you are writing your prompts inside the ChatGPT block. For example, you can use context, the article to summarise, and details parameters like the following:

Context: (You are an experienced copywriter who summaries long texts into short, easy to understand summaries using Extreme TLDR generation.)
Article to summarise: {Your google sheet dynamic variable where the article is located}
Details: (Don't write any “ “ in your answer. Don't write any text before or after the summary. Write a maximum of 50 characters.)  
Please summarise the article. Use a method of Extreme TLDR generation, a new form of extreme summarisation for paragraphs. TLDR generation involves high source compression, removes stop words and summaries the paragraph whilst retaining meaning. The result is the shortest possible summary that retains all of the original meaning and context of the paragraph.

Hope it helps. 
It's AI Thomas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @PalomaPA 

Good question.

To help us have more context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @PalomaPA! 👋

Just wanted to check in to see how you were getting on with this. Were you since able to get the ChatGPT action to use the content from the article instead of making it up? 

If so, we’d love if you could share some details on how you solved this. I’m sure there will be others in the Community here with similar issues that could benefit from your experience here! 🙂

If not, could you share a screenshot showing how prompt etc. on the the ChatGPT action is currently set up? That’ll help to give folks in the Community here to better identify what might be causing the issue here. Remember to remove/hide any private information (like names, emails, addresses etc.) from the screenshot before sharing.

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!