Best answer

How can I import files individually and move them into a set folder on my desktop?

Hi,

I get a daily, automated e-mail that contains multiple excel attachments.  The goal is for the files to be auto-downloaded into a file on my desktop, so I can pull multiple files into a power query as needed.

I’ve come up with a way to map all of the files into my google drive, but they’re being imported as a zip file. Ideally, I’d rather them be imported on a file level basis - not zipped. 

What I’m trying to solve for at this point is how to download the files once a day into said file in my desktop.

My questions are as follows:

• How can I import the files individually, instead as a zip?  Is this possible?
  • How can I move these files (either individually, or zipped) onto a set folder on my desktop?
  • Is there a more efficient way to do this that doesn’t involve parking the file in google drive first?  How would that be done?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Danvers 3 August 2022, 17:04

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Mike_NY!

This isn’t 100% what you’re trying to do, but it might give you some ideas. I recently created a guide for saving attachments to Dropbox from Gmail. I know you’re using Google Drive, and you didn’t mention which email app you’re using. So your mileage may vary, but have a look to see if it helps:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Mike_NY!

This isn’t 100% what you’re trying to do, but it might give you some ideas. I recently created a guide for saving attachments to Dropbox from Gmail. I know you’re using Google Drive, and you didn’t mention which email app you’re using. So your mileage may vary, but have a look to see if it helps:

Hi @Mike_NY!

In answer to your first question: 

How can I import the files individually, instead as a zip?  Is this possible?

If you’re using Gmail, this is absolutely possible. Instead of using the New Email trigger, use the Gmail New Attachment trigger. This will trigger the Zap for each attachment on the email, so they wont be zipped. 

For this one

How can I move these files (either individually, or zipped) onto a set folder on my desktop?

Is there a more efficient way to do this that doesn’t involve parking the file in google drive first?  How would that be done?

That’s a lot harder. The only way I can think to do this is if you did it with an ftp server. I know that you can use FTP servers to transfer files from a hard drive, but I don’t have experience in setting one up. 

If you went down the FTP route, I don’t think you’d need to add the Google Drive step. If you want to give that a go, you can see the different FTP services that integrate with Zapier by going to zapier.com/apps and typing ‘ftp’ in the search box. 

Do you think that will work for you?