Question

How can I have Zapier switch to a new worksheet automatically

• 1 June 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello Zapier Community,

We have a Google sheet that documents all the transactions taking place.

For each month we have its own tab. At the beginning of each month, we have to manually change the zaps to use the tab representing that new month. 

Is there a way to have Zapier automatically switch to the new month tab depending on the month the transaction is created?
I tried different ways of trying to set this up without any luck. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community @PQ Team. What a great question!

I think you could potentially use a Formatter (Date / Time > Format) to output the current month, then use a lookup table to give the correct ID for the tab you want it to add the transaction information to. Then you’d only need to update the IDs for the tabs once a year when you create the new tabs for each month. There’s an article in Community that explains this sort of process for how to add files into specific folders based on the month: 

The apps are different but the process is similar. Also, that article mentions using a Formatter (Utilities > Lookup Table) action to make the lookup table in, but as you’ve got multiple Zaps that would need to access that lookup table you’d be better off creating the lookup table in another Google Sheets spreadsheet. Then you can set up all the Zaps to use a Lookup Spreadsheet Row action and just update the lookup table in Google Sheets as necessary. 

We’ve got another article that explains how to do that sort of thing here:

Hope that helps to get you pointed in the right direction. Let us know how you get on with this, always happy to help further if you run into any trouble at all! 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @PQ Team 

Good question.

Here’s a possible alternative.

Use Airtable instead of GSheets.

Airtable has Views. (segments of data)

Views can have Filters.

That way all your data can stay in the same table, and you can create Views with the desired filtered data for each month.