Question

How can I get the Template Name from a DocuSign Template?

• 26 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a simple 4 step Zap integrating Freshsales Classic and DocuSign…

1. Trigger = New Deal in Freshsales.  The filter is set for the NHSN Deals pipeline.
  2. Action = Send Envelope Using Template in DocuSign. 
  3. Action = Format Date and Time as MM/DD/YYYY hh:mm (for DocuSign's "Status set timetamp" field).
  4. Action = Add Note to Deal in Freshsales Classic.

My issue is focused on Action = Send Envelope Using Template in DocuSign

• My template in DocuSign is configured with the Recipient using the Role “Initial Contact” and the Email Subject as “Template Name - [[Initial Contact_UserName]]”.  The Template Name is manually entered into the Email Subject field, and is not a dynamic data option.
  • In my Zap, the Send Envelope action has fields for Email Subject and Email Body, which will override whatever is set as default for these in the DocuSign Template.
  • I need the Email Subject to be “Template Name - Deal Name”.
  • I can get the Deal Name from the Deal data in the trigger.  (screenshot below)
  • The first field of the Send Envelope action is to select the Template ID. And although the dropdown for this shows the Template Name above the Template ID, the Template Name data is nowhere to be found.  (screenshot below)
  • In step 4, for my Add Note action, there are only four pieces of data available from the Send Envelope Action… Envelope status, URI, Envelope ID, and Status set timestamp. (screenshot below)
Can get the Deal Name from the trigger.

Selecting the Template ID also shows the Template Name

Only 4 pieces of data available from DocuSign in Step 2

In an attempt to track down the Template Name, I created a simple 4 step Zap integrating DocuSign and Zapier Tables to see what data I can pull from DocuSign.

1. Trigger = Envelope Status Updated in DocuSign - Status is Sent. 
  2. Action = Date / Time in Formatter by Zapier. 
  3. Action = Only continue if... Envelope ID does NOT exist in the Zapier Table. 
  4. Action = Create Record in Zapier Tables.

Of all the data available from DocuSign on this trigger, there’s still nothing for Template Name, Template ID, or Envelope Name. 

I would try using the DocuSign API Request action or Webhooks by Zapier but I’m not a programmer and have no clue how to set those up. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @melissacwood 

One option is to manually set the Template Name being used in Zap Step 4 since you can only select 1 template in Zap step 2.

Otherwise, you can explore using the DocuSign API with the help of AI to create a custom action.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@melissacwood 

we can do that, can we connect to call

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

I created a Custom Action using AI, as you suggested. I set it to just get a list of all templates on a specific DocuSign account. In my description I added the data I’m most focused on in the results. When I test the action in the Zap I get the following error...

“Failed to create a custom actions in DocuSign. Required field "Account ID" (accountld) is missing.” 

The Account setting for the Custom Action in the zap is successfully connected to the DocuSign account. Why is it not using the info from the account that is connected? Am I missing a field somewhere?

Custom Action I created for DocuSign (top of screen)

Custom Action I created for DocuSign (bottom of screen)

Custom Action settings in the Zap

Custom Action Test Failure

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone  Do I need to Publish the Custom Action, not just Save it? Could that be why I’m getting the error message?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@melissacwood

In Step 2 will you be selecting 1 Template?

If yes, then for the Freshsales Classic Add Note to Deal step perhaps just add a static value for the Template Name you selected in Step 2.

e.g. If you selected Template X with ID 123, then in the Add Note step, just use a static value of “Template X”, thus no need to map a dynamic variable between steps.