Best answer

How can I extract high-quality images or first frame of GIFs/Videos from tweets?

• 3 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi,

How can I do the following:

1. Get the highest quality image url if a tweet with image is posted (some of the image links are blurry)
  2. If a GIF or a video is sent, how can I detect that automatically (if-else) and add a step to get the first image of it? (as it shows on twitter)

icon

Best answer by SamB 23 August 2023, 16:29

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @deckpyramid,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Regarding your first question about:

1. Get the highest quality image url if a tweet with image is posted (some of the image links are blurry)

Before we dive deeper, could you please send a screenshot of the image that was posted by the Zap?

Regarding second question about:

1. If a GIF or a video is sent, how can I detect that automatically (if-else) and add a step to get the first image of it? (as it shows on twitter)

Maybe you can create a separate Zap for this and use Filter by Zapier step to add a condition to your Zap for the Zap to only continue if the file contains .GIF or .MP4. Then you can use a file converter app to convert the file to an image OR you can just use the thumbnail of the video or GIF if the thumbnail data exists in the trigger data.

Hi there @deckpyramid,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Regarding your first question about:

Before we dive deeper, could you please send a screenshot of the image that was posted by the Zap?

Regarding second question about:

1. If a GIF or a video is sent, how can I detect that automatically (if-else) and add a step to get the first image of it? (as it shows on twitter)

Maybe you can create a separate Zap for this and use Filter by Zapier step to add a condition to your Zap for the Zap to only continue if the file contains .GIF or .MP4. Then you can use a file converter app to convert the file to an image OR you can just use the thumbnail of the video or GIF if the thumbnail data exists in the trigger data.

Thank you for your response. I can’t share the image publicly. Can I email you? or is there a DM function? 

Also when a tweet has a video, how do I choose the highest quality video? the extended entities variants has multiple URLs.

How can I choose the last/best/highest quality variant? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @deckpyramid! 👋

Instead of sharing an image of what was posted, can you please share a screenshot showing the selected fields/settings in the Actions section of the action in the Zap that’s posting these blurry images? And can you also show a screenshot of the selected test record in the Zap? Please remove/hide any private information from the screenshots before sharing (like names, email addresses etc.).

Specifically I’m wanting to see what image/video fields are available from the Twitter trigger used in the Zap, and what fields have been selected. This will help us to see how the Zap is currently set up and whether there’s another field you could select that may contain the higher res version of the image/video.

Us folks here in the Community can’t accept images or assist with any troubleshooting over DM or over email. Our Support team are able to provide troubleshooting assistance over email (for folks on paid Zapier plans) though if that’s something you’d prefer.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

I’ve contacted the support team via email.

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey friends! 👋

I just wanted to circle back in here as spotted that our Support team responded to @deckpyramid with a workaround. 🙂

Sharing details of that workaround here in case that’s helpful to others:

“Could you please try appending ?name=large to the URL and test it once more? Here's how the adjusted field should appear:
ed6b9701c46aec56e0362952ee3bd09d.png
(view larger)

By making this adjustment, we aim to prompt the Facebook step to download the image in its original, better-quality format.”