Question

How can I Extract data from xls file in google drive and use that for mailchimp

Here's an example of how the report will come,

This one doesn't have the email address,

It looks like the formatting might make it hard to upload directly into mailchimp with an automation?

If so we might need step 2 to be some app script automation that when a file is added to the drive folder it cleans up the formatting ready for upload.

The process end to end should look like this:

1) We get their sales system to send us a daily report of prospects, members, last activity dates etc. Each time it will be a new spreadsheet.

2) The file automatically gets saved to google drive

2.1) If we need to fix the format ready for upload then an google app script might be needed

3) The file is then automatically imported into mailchimp where it has to Add New Subscribers or Update existing Subscribers

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @wholeofthemoonamarketing 

We would need to see screenshots with how the spreadsheet is formatted to have more context.

It may involve using the GSheet API via one of these advanced actions:

• Custom Action
  • API Request

Hey @Troy Tessalone So, Iam planning to change the flow.

So, what I wanted to happen is 

Zap that uploads the CSV file directly to mailchimp and either adds any new records or updates existing records.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@wholeofthemoonamarketing 

Try using Files by Zapier: https://zapier.com/apps/files-by-zapier/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Sorry but can you help me on this part? with the csv files I receive, there are multiple subscribers rather than just 1.

My thinking is that each report (email received with csv file) will update the status of members, so the main thing will be to make sure we have mapped accurately the fields that represent the changes in an individual's relationship to the gym.

So for example when a prospect becomes a member they are no longer listed as a prospect etc

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

How many records MAX can there be in the CSV?

Not really sure but probably hundreds.

I did see a similar post 8 months ago so I was thinking if it’s already possible to add/update multiple record rather than just have 1?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try these Zap steps:

Zap 1

1. Trigger: Gmail - New Attachment
  2. Action: Files by Zapier - Trigger Zap from CSV Rows
    1. Use the webhook url from Zap 2, Step 1

Zap 2

1. Trigger: Webhook - Catch Hook
    1. Put the webhook url in Zap 1, Step 2
  2. Action: Mailchimp - Add/Update Subscriber

Hello do you have any recommendation aside from Files as it seems that it’s not supported anymore

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Files by Zapier can only be used as a Zap action step:

https://zapier.com/apps/files-by-zapier/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Yes just as I did here

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Gmail accounts that are not paid have limitations for being used in Zaps.

Click the link to learn more.