Question

How can I extract a tag assigned to an item in Pocket?

• 2 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I am new to Zapier. I am trying to connect my pocket account with airtable through Zapier.

The problem I have is that the tags in pocket come inside other items. I am not very clear how I can extract the correct tag in this case.

I am using "New Archived Item in Pocket". My column configuration in Airtable is:
Title | Url | Tag | ID

When I want to extract the label from pocket, I have this problem:

I want to extract the tag that I have assigned to that item in Pocket. The problem is that when I dump the data in Airtable it shows the label like this. This causes that if the label changes, the item is not registered. 

I don't know if I am complicating myself unnecessarily. I hope you can help me.

Thanks

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Foolel - thanks so much for reaching out in the community!

I’m not super familiar with Pocket so I just want to make sure I’m following. 🙂 In the screenshot are “bofu” and “tofu” intended to be 2 separate tags?

Also does this sound familiar at all to what you’re looking to achieve?

If so, let me know and I’m happy to add you to that feature request! Thanks so much and looking forward to hearing from you. 🤗

Userlevel 1

Hi @christina.d,

Thank you for your reply!

That is not the problem. The problem I have is that I want to extract the tag assigned to that item in pocket. When I get the response from Zapier I get that structure for the tag.

"bofu-tofu" is a tag. It's the same if the tag is "marketing", "ppc", etc. (It doesn't depend on "-").

The problem is that the tag comes inside the "Tags" response and it has the information inside. If I want to automate the process I can't because it always includes the tag.

Example:

With another tag like "marketing": it would look like "Tags Marketing Tag: marketing".

Here is an example (image):

In this way, when automating the process I can not tell Zapier to extract the tag, because if this tag changes, Zapier no longer recognizes it.

I think the problem comes from here. Zapier adds an element that is called the same name as the tag. 

I hope I have explained myself correctly.

I also add that the same problem does not occur with other elements of the same type and Zapier recognizes them correctly:

I have tried different methods. I have tried with the utilities and text options of the formatter, but I can't find a solution.

I hope you can help me.

Best regards and thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Foolel!

I’ve run into this same issue before. The way Pocket presents the tags doesn’t make it terribly easy to work with.

I’d expect something like this:

But instead we get this, where the name of the tag is in the label for that tag:

I’m afraid I don’t know of a way that you can account for all of the possible tags that might come through, short of adding a finite number of them to your Pocket account, adding them all to a single archived item, then building your Zap. But then never changing your tags, because your Zap wouldn’t be aware of them.

Far from ideal :(

As a workaround you could look at using the Pocket API along with Webhooks by Zapier — Retrieve Poll. I wasn’t able to log into or create a Pocket account to test this out, unfortunately. It may very well be more effort than you want to go through to get tags, which I would totally understand.