Question

How can I create subfolders in Google Drive based on email content and move PDFs there?

• 15 November 2023
  • 10 replies

I am using a Zap to watch for a gmail with a specific tag.  It then auto creates a PDF of the attachment and places it is a folder on Gdrive.  What I would like to do is to use a specific word in the email to create a sub folder based on that word.  The email has a 2 letter abbreviation for a state.  I would like to auto create the subfolder based on that abbreivation (if it does not already exist) and place the finished pdf in that folder.

Is that possible?

Thanks

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @robmich 

Good question.

Can you post screenshots of a specific example to help give us more context.

Sure…

ITQ Form Responses - Stamford Police Department, TX

I need to search on the above subject line or:

The below actual name of the file:

MSI Mobile Video IT Questionnaire - v2.0 Bald Knob Police Department, AR.pdf"

I would need to use the two letter state abbreviation for the sub folder.

Rob

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@robmich 

You can use Formatter > Text > options to isolate the 2 letter state abbreviation if it’s always the last 2 letters in the subject line.

That is great. As I am pretty new to Zapier, if someone could assist with an example  I  would be grateful. 

Rob

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@robmich 

Try this Formatter step if there is only 1 comma in the Subject.

That looks like it would work.  I have a functional Zap and there is supposed to be a + at the end so I can add the formatter.  I believe I have tried to look for it in edit but it is not there.  Is there something else I need to do to see the +.  Sorry for the dumb question.

Rob

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@robmich 

Please post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to help us have true context.

Here ya go.. Thanks for the help...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@robmich 

Can you post screenshots about this?

I have a functional Zap and there is supposed to be a + at the end so I can add the formatter. 
I believe I have tried to look for it in edit but it is not there. 
Is there something else I need to do to see the +.

OK, I am slowly Figuring this out. I am successfully creating the child folder in the parent, but the attachment to the email it queries is not getting there.  I will keep trying.  Do not want to bog down this folder..

Rob