Skip to main content

I’m currently trying to create a media RSS feed (mRSS, like this) with Zapier. So far, I’ve managed to set up a “regular” RSS feed with the built-in “RSS by Zapier” actions, so the basics are covered successfully.

However, this does not seem(?) to cover media extensions like “media:thumbnail” elements or “media:category” etc. Is there a way to achieve this either by built-in tools or other solutions?

I’ll take dirty, not-for-prod workarounds if necessary. I’m also on a paid plan, if that helps.

Hi there @Shazap!,

Before we dig deeper into this, would you mind sharing a detailed screenshot of how your Zap is configured? Also, please share a screenshot of the “Action” section of the action step that shows all of its fields. Like so:

46dd6c0979e3d815d621b8da43084ef1.png
(view larger)

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks!

Hi @ken.a, sure! Though there’s not much to show beyong the basics.

• The Zap takes a trigger from a different (regular) RSS feed to activate, then does some computing, and is then supposed to build a new (mRSS) feed for downstream usage.
  • Basically, it’s supposed to convert the Trigger feed into a feed that adhers to MRSS specifics, with some extracted data added.

(redacted for some company info)

• As you can see in the Action, I tried to shoehorn some of the media data into the “Content” field (which is actually the <description> field in the resulting feed).
  • This didn’t work either, though, as the content gets hard-quoted (e.g. <media:thumbnail” turns into “&lt;media:thumbnail) and is non-valid either way

Any ideas? 

Hi @Shazap!,

Thanks for the screenshots and additional details.

I did some digging into this, and it seems like the media related fields are not supported at the moment. However, we do have an existing feature request for this exact functionality.

I have added your vote to the open feature request. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

Hopefully, this helps!

Hi ken.a, thanks for checking!

Alas, I was really hoping for some workaround solution. Is there any other Zapier-way for working with XML in general? Any built-in, native tools?

Hi @Shazap!,

You are most welcome!

Unfortunately, I’m not really familiar with XML’s. However, you might want to explore our apps page if we have a supported app for that.

You can explore our apps page here: https://zapier.com/apps

Hopefully, this helps.