Skip to main content

I’m sending data to Podio to create new items but it is failing to create these new items if one of the category fields does not exist. It is possible for these category fields to be created through Zappier?

An example is: In Podio I have a Category filed called “Status” with the possible options of “yes” or “no”. If however the data that is sent through Zappier for the status field is “Maybe”, what I’d like is for a new category option of “Maybe” to be created and selected. Possible?

If it is helpful, I’m sending data from a system called Rock Gym Pro (RGP) that is currently not a publicly available app in Zappier, but the data being sent should presumably be the same as the date from any other app. 

Hi @Boulder Shack, thanks for joining the Community! 🙂

I did some digging through the internal notes for the Podio app but couldn’t find any confirmation of whether it would allow you to create a new option for the Status field if it doesn’t exist.

If you type in the word Maybe into the Status field on the Create Item action and then test it, does it create the option in Podio or does it run into an error?

If it doesn’t run into an error:
Then you should be ok to select the field containing the relevant status value (use the Custom value option) that’s passed from RGP and have that add/select the necessary status in Podio.

If it runs into an error:
Then you’d need to have all the possible values that RGP might send over to the Zap (for that Status field) added as options in Podio directly. Then in the status field (use the Custom value option) and select the field containing the status from RGP to have the relevant option selected automatically. 

That said, sometimes when using the Custom value option for selecting an option you’ll need to supply an ID for the option instead of it’s name. In which case you can use a Formatter (Utilities > Lookup Table) action to convert the names into the relevant option IDs. You can learn more about how to use lookup tables here: Create lookup tables in Zaps

Hope that helps to get you started. If I’ve misunderstood what you’re after here or you run into any issues on that just let us know!