Best answer

How can I conditionally create two variables based on the user name and then pass those variables to another app?

• 22 July 2022
  • 8 replies

I have a zap that is passed the 'user' name by the trigger but not the user email or mobile that I need for the second app.  

I'd like to be able to conditionally create two variables based on the user name and pass the newly.created variables to second app.   

If user equals "x" then user_email equals "email" and user_mobile equals 'mobile number', if user equals 'y' then....and so on.  

Then pass those two variables names and results to second app.  

I've tried the python module but can't seem to get it to work.  Tried the spreadsheet module but can't seem to get it to work.  

Any way to do this?   Thanks in advance. 

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 27 July 2022, 00:56

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Alex.Pattom!

Let’s see if we can solve this one for ya :)

how would you be creating those new variables? In other words, if you’re missing an email address and mobile number, what determines what gets added there?

There are various ways you could accomplish this, but knowing how you’re looking to construct those variables will be helpful. Thanks!

Thanks for your help.

My thought is they are built using the user name which is passed.

If user is 'a' then mobile is 'x' email is 'y' , 

If user is 'b' then mobile is 'g' and email is 'h' 

We have a small team so hard coding these conditionally on user name is likely the 'easiest' 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ohhhh...so you already have the email address and mobile number somewhere else, is that what you’re saying?

So the trigger for App A might give you Nick Simard and in App B you have nick@simard.org and (555) 444-3333 and for App C you’d like to use all of that info. Am I understanding?

Otherwise, I don’t know where the email address and phone number are coming from.

Yes.  You understand it.  I have the name that is provided by the API.  The other pieces of info are not provided.  

I am looking for an in-between step to essentially hard code the other two variables depending on the first.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Alex.Pattom 

You can use the concept of a Lookup Table.

Options:

1. Formatter > Utilities > Lookup Table
    1. Note: this only allows for returning 1 data point
  2. GSheet - Lookup Row
  3. Airtable - Find Record
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Alex.Pattom!

@Troy Tessalone saw where I was going, and offered the lookup table suggestion. If you already know the email and phone number for the names that could be coming into your Zap, you can put that into another app and look it up each time the Zap runs.

If you need to keep that lookup table (in Google Sheets, for example) updated, you could look into creating a Zap (or Zaps that can do that). That way you don’t have to keep it updated manually.

Does that help point you in the right direction?

Hi @Alex.Pattom 

You can use the concept of a Lookup Table.

Options:

1. Formatter > Utilities > Lookup Table
    1. Note: this only allows for returning 1 data point
  2. GSheet - Lookup Row
  3. Airtable - Find Record

This worked.  Thank you!

Thanks for the help.  The Vlookup worked for this use case.  Thank you!