Question

How can I add Asana custom fields / collaborators as attendees to a Google Calendar event?

• 2 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi there!

I am looking to use zapier to connect asana and google calendar so I can create a new calendar event whenever someone adds a date/time to a custom field on a task. As I am building out the zap, I am having trouble specifying event attendees because the Google Calendar action is looking for email addresses, while the Asana trigger only provides collaborator names.

Has anyone experienced a similar challenge in the past? How were you able to pull email addresses from Asana when they were not provided in the list of data points in the trigger?

Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Gstruck 

Good question.

Try using this Zap action: Asana - Find User

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hey @Gstruck, just checking back in! Were you able to give Troy’s recommendation a try? 

Hi Chanelle and Troy - Thanks for reaching out. We tried this solution and it seems to work well when only one user is assigned to a custom field in Asana. When there are multiple custom fields in Asana with users tagged to them, it seems to combine all of the User IDs into a single field that will not be interpreted as multiple user IDs in the “Find User” action. Is there a way to solve this issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Gstruck can you please add a screenshot so I can take a closer look at the setup? 

Please see attachments and let me know if there are any other screenshots I can provide.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Gstruck, thanks for those screenshots, I’m pretty sure we can make this work for you 😊

What we need to know is whether the list of IDs is just a list or if Asana is sending it as line-items. You might not know which is which, especially as they will both look the same in when you add them to the Find User step, but don’t worry we’ve got you! Could you share a screenshot of the test data that you get when you test the Asana trigger? Don’t forget to remove or obscure any personal or private information in any screenshot you share in the community (eg full name, email address, etc).

Thanks!