Question

High volume of API reads integrating with Quickbase

• 18 May 2023
  • 3 replies

I am curious is anyone is familiar with this issue. I had several zaps connected to my Quickbase app. Most would be triggered from within Quickbase, but a couple would send data back to Quickbase from Gmail.

Quickbase was wanting to charge us an astronomical amount because our reads were accumulating to over 10,000 a month, probably closer to 30,000 a month. We then disconnected all zaps using Quickbase and that corrected the high volume of reads.

Has anyone ever encountered an issue like this? Or, does anyone know the inter-workings of how Zapier talks to a connected host that would impact such a high volume of reads?

Obviously turning off the zaps have severed the ability to use some automations and has negatively impacted our workflow. So I’m curious to know how it works and maybe there’s a workaround to be able to utilize the power of Zapier and get our automations restored without being charged an arm and a leg.

Any insight would be appreciated.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @TRM,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Before we dive into the details, I wanted to let you know that based on our notes, it appears that the Quick Base integration requires a paid plan both from Quick Base and Zapier in order to use and integrate the app.

Could you kindly confirm whether you have a paid plan with Quick Base?

Thanks! 😊

Yes, of course. But I believe I found a solution. I’ve learned that we were using polling triggers, which caused the reads to accumulate so high. We should be using instant triggers.

Now I just have to figure out how to configure a webhook to trigger a zap for multiple objects. I’m finding that an array of properly formed JSON objects will trigger the zap once for each object. I just have to figure out how to write the “properly formed JSON objects”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @TRM! 👋

So pleased to hear that you’ve found a solution already, great work! 🙌

I’m not super familiar with Quick Base’s API so I can’t advise on how to get it to trigger with information for multiple objects but they appear to have documentation around how to Configure a webhook which you may find helpful. For the Endpoint URL you’d want to use the URL supplied by a Zap that uses a Catch Hook (Webhooks by Zapier) trigger. That Zap can then be used to trigger multiple other Zaps if you’ve got multiple Zaps that you want to run from the single trigger event. 

We’ve got an article that covers how to trigger multiple Zaps from a single webhook which you may find useful:

Hope that helps!