Question

Help with Two-Way Syncing Between HubSpot and Salesforce

• 9 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Greetings everyone,

I am currently using HubSpot's native integration to connect with Salesforce. However, I am not entirely satisfied with the integration addon provided by HubSpot. Therefore, I am planning to switch to the Zapier integration. Before making the switch, I would like to ask for your help with the following:

1. Are there any known limits when syncing two ways on Zapier? (Salesforce to HubSpot and HubSpot to Salesforce).
  2. Could you please share any best practices that I should follow? Please share links to relevant documentation or templates.
  3. I want to set up a two-way sync on the following objects: Lead, Contact, Account, Opportunities, and Activities.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Chad Holland, welcome to the Community!

Zapier isn’t really designed for two-way syncing, although, it is technically possible. You’d just need to set up separate Zaps to carry out both ways of the sync.

For example: Zap 1 triggers when a lead is updated in Salesforce then searches for the lead in HubSpot and updates them. And Zap 2 triggers on updates to leads in HubSpot, then searches for the lead in Salesforce and updates them. The issue with this kind of Zap set up though is that it can lead to Zap loops being created, where one update to a lead in one app will cause each Zap to keep triggering the other Zap infinitely.

But there are some steps you can take to avoid creating Zap loops. You could have a field in both apps that when you update the lead, contact etc. via the Zaps you would add a value to that field. Then use a Filter by Zapier action in both Zaps that will only continue if the field doesn’t contain a certain value and if it does, then it’ll halt the Zap, preventing a Zap loop from being created.  

You can find out more about how to avoid Zap Loops here: Zap is stuck in a loop 

Hope that helps to get you pointed in the right direction! 🙂

Dear SamB,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your suggestion for preventing loops when creating new records on both platforms. However, I have a question regarding updating records. If a Salesforce record is manually updated and needs to be pushed to HubSpot, how it will not work since the flag field value still exists?

I have some thoughts. What if we create a zap that triggers only when a specific field is changed (as shown in the attached file)? This would allow us to handle both create and update actions in the same zap. To clear the flag value in the custom field, we would need to set up some automation in both platforms.

Thank you for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Happy to help, @Chad Holland! 🙂

I’m not able to see the images you mentioned, it might be that they hadn’t finished uploading before your reply was posted. At any rate, if you’re able to select the exact field that would need to be updated in order to trigger both Zaps then yes, that would help to prevent a Zap Loop. You’d just need to make sure that the update actions in both Zaps aren’t updating that specific field so that they don’t inadvertently trigger the other Zap and cause a Zap loop.

So you could add a custom field in both Salesforce and HubSpot that’s called “Send to Zap” for example, and then just update the value in that field when you want it to trigger the relevant Zap. Does that make sense? 

Greetings everyone,

I am currently using HubSpot's native integration to connect with Salesforce. However, I am not entirely satisfied with the integration addon provided by HubSpot. Therefore, I am planning to switch to the Zapier integration. Before making the switch, I would like to ask for your help with the following:

1. Are there any known limits when syncing two ways on Zapier? (Salesforce to HubSpot and HubSpot to Salesforce).
  2. Could you please share any best practices that I should follow? Please share links to relevant documentation or templates.
  3. I want to set up a two-way sync on the following objects: Lead, Contact, Account, Opportunities, and Activities.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Both Salesforce and HubSpot have limits on the number of API calls you can make within a certain time period. You will need to make sure that your Zap is not exceeding these limits, as this can cause errors or slowdowns.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Chad Holland,

Quick follow-up, have you had the time to try out SamB’s suggestion? Please let us know if it worked! 😊