Skip to main content
Best answer

Help with Slack automation. Ping me in thread if there is no emoji reaction to message in 10 minutes.

• 4 July 2024
  • 1 reply

Hey, I am looking for help to finish my Slack automation. I want to enable the flowing scenario. 
If there is no emoji reaction to message in 10 minutes, create a thread and ping me. 

I set up a trigger for a new message, added Delay by Zapier and added action to find the right message by permalink. 

How do I do check if the message has any emoji reactions? 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Michael-767, welcome to the Community! 👋 

To get the reactions for a message Slack has a specific reactions.get API endpoint you’d need to use. To make a request to that endpoint you can use Slack’s API Request (Beta) action, and set it up as shown below, to search for the message using it’s timestamp (Ts) instead of it’s permalink:
aba62fcb134b4b5dcc7404d62f511b0a.png
That should get you the number of reactions as well as the name of the reactions:

bf07952470b1d61a36a8ce363982f8e3.png

From there you can use a filter to check the number of reactions is less than 1 so that the subsequent Send Email action will only run if there hasn’t been a emoji reaction added. 

Hope that helps to get you pointed in the right direction. If you run into any issues or have further questions do let me know! 🙂