Question

Handling multiple results in Search Action

• 20 October 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello!

I am trying to set up the following Zap:

1. Trigger: once a day
  2. Action: Search all Trello (or Fibery, or whatever) cards with word “Urgent” in them
  3. Action: Send email for each such card which contains some data

Problem: search action returns justt a single card while there are multiple on the board. Only one email is sent (where multiple were expected)

Please advice how to handle this scenario

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Moving this to “Ask the Community” for better coverage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Check out Butler by Trello: https://help.trello.com/article/1198-an-intro-to-butler

Userlevel 1

Hello, Troy!

Thank you for the link, interesting. 

This question is about Zapier and how it can handle such scenario. Trello was mentioned simply as an example as it might be more familiar to understand use-case

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You’d likely have to use the app’s API to GET results then create a looping Zap to processes all the applicable records.

Userlevel 1

In terms of Zapier actions what can be used for that?

1. use the app’s API to GET results  ← Do you suggest using Code action? But what about auth for making such call to service? Search action provides out of the box and here it is not clear how to use it
  2. looping Zap ← I was unable to find any relevant action with word “Loop” in it, what do you mean?

Thank you for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

[ADVANCED]

Webhook action step can be used to make a GET request and can handle authentication.

I suggest reading up on the help documentation here: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/help

Looping Zaps can be done in a few ways:

1. Code step using custom Javascript or Python
  2. Combo of steps involving these apps Webhook, Code, Filter

I suggest reading up on the help documentation here: https://zapier.com/apps/code/help

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Ilya Tsuryev 

Not sure if you were able to get this sorted. As Troy has demonstrated, Zapier isn’t best suited to ‘find+action’ all type operations - it’s doable, but you’ll need to use webhooks and coding to achieve it.

Userlevel 2

I have the same problem.

1. Run once every day.
  2. Find all contacts in HubSpot with Birthday = Today’s Date. (Sometimes more than one). 
  3. Send congratulatory emails to each contact. 

I have this working for one contact.

But, the first problem is that the HubSpot find method only returns one contact, even if there are multiple. 

The second problem is the loop or “for each”, that is missing. 

There should be a “for each" block that will start a sub-zap or branch for each record found, and then possibly continue with the main thread. 

Any suggestions welcome. 

Thomas. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @thm22 

Unfortunately, ‘find all’ operations just aren’t possible with Zapier.

The closest you could get is to export a CSV of members + birthdays daily and use a method like this to run on all of them.