Question

Google Tasks to Airtable AND assign task to assignee

I was able to get my Google Tasks hooked up to send to Airtable via Zapier, but what I really want to do is auto-assign those tasks to myself (as the assignee) in Airtable. Is that even possible and if so can someone suggest how I might build that. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @AaronRosenthal 

Good question.

We’d need more context about which Airtable field and field type you are trying to use.

Best to provide screenshots.

I’m a bit of an Airtable newb but looking at their supported field types what I think we must be using the “User” field which we call “Assignee”. Unless “Assignee” is a custom field we created. So I guess we’re talking about auto-assigning the task once it gets into Airtable. Big thanks for the help Troy!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AaronRosenthal 

Can you provide screenshots of the Assignee field in Airtable?

Can you provide screenshots with how Zap steps are configured currently?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AaronRosenthal 

An Assignee in Airtable has 3 data points:

1. ID
  2. Email
  3. Name

You can use the Email or ID in the Zap for the Assignee field to set the Assignee.

Grabbed some screenshots if this is helpful. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @AaronRosenthal!

When you select the Base and Table in the Airtable Create Record step, the step should then show you the fields available for that record. Do you see that? If not, try clicking the Refresh Fields button. 

When you have the fields from Airtable, you should be able to set yourself as an Assignee. And if you see the fields from Airtable but can’t see Assignee, could you take a screenshot of what you do see and share that with us? Thanks!

I hope that helps, let us know how you get on!

That worked Danvers! “Refresh Fields”!! Thanks

For updating the task when I mark as done in Google Tasks, do I need to use the Search Record function? 

I tried this but got an error…. Thought it would match the record based on title but maybe I do need to search first?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey there @AaronRosenthal,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

I looked at the screenshot, and it seems like the issue here is on the “Record” field. The “Record” field looks for the Record ID. I suggest adding a search step before the “Update Record” step and mapping the Record ID in the “Record” field as a custom value from the search step. Here’s an example screenshot on how to map the Record ID.

0428a511722450726068b309674a17ad.png
(view larger)

Please give that a try, and keep us posted! 

Thanks! 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @AaronRosenthal 

The Airtable Update Record action expects the Record ID for the Record field, so you would need to do a Find Record action first.

In the Airtable Record Search step, I’m only seeing the fields from Google Tasks. I’m not seeing any Airtable records in that option. Do I need to be sending a unique ID from Google Tasks into a new field in Airtable in order to link up the ID’s? Or does Airtable create a unique ID automatically when I send it a task? Either way, I don’t see anywhere to select an ID from Airtable. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AaronRosenthal

To know the Airtable Record to update you need the Airtable Record ID.

If you don’t know the Airtable Record ID, then you need to add a Find Record search step.

In the Find Record search step you will search the Airtable Table based on your defined search conditions. (e.g. Search Field X for Value Y - which might be a dynamic variable from a previous Zap step)

One a record is found in the Find Record step, it will return the Record ID you can use. (starts with “rec”)