Best answer

Google Sheets Zap not triggering

• 16 April 2020
  • 4 replies

I’m having a similar issue. I created a Zap that when new info is put into a certain column, it updates a contact in ActiveCampaign. When I did the test, it said it worked. 

When I try to put information into the actual document, the Zap doesn’t fire. 

icon

Best answer by steph.n 7 May 2020, 01:49

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @strigs - I hope you don’t mind that I moved this post to a new topic - there was a lot going on in that previous thread and I didn’t want your question to get lost. 

Google Sheets and Zapier together is a powerful combination, but there’s a lot of things that can get in the way of a Zap not triggering:

• There must not be any blank rows in the sheet
  • When you add a row to the sheet, be sure to wait up to 15 minutes after adding the row to check to see if it’s been triggered
  • If you’re using the Update Row action, the Zap will only trigger on NEW information. For example, if you have a column that can either be a yes or no, the first time you change it to yes, the Zap will trigger, if you change it no it will also trigger, if you change it back to yes the Zap wont trigger.
  • Is the trigger column a formula? If the output of a formula changes (eg because something was typed in other columns and that changes the answer to the formula), it will normally cause the Updated Row trigger to fire. However, if the value of the formula changes automatically (as in the formula says =TODAY) and not by manipulating other cells on the spreadsheet, it will not trigger. You need to open the spreadsheet to refresh it, and then the zap will trigger. The same is true for lookup commands - the Zap will only fire when the sheet is opened (and therefore the values in the cells refreshes). 
  • Rearranging the columns in a sheet - if you do this, you’ll need to edit your Zap to update it with the new column
  • Re-ordering rows while the Zap is turned on. If you need to delete or re-order rows, make sure to turn the Zap off while you do it and then back on again when you’re done. 

If none of those line up with what you’re seeing, then the best thing to do is to contact the Support Team so that they can take a closer look. You can do that using the contact form https://zapier.com/app/contact-us.  If you do, make sure that you include as much information as possible, including a link to the Zap, and that you’ve ruled out the options above. 

I hope that helps!

Morning! Thanks for helping out. 

So here’s the whole process. I have people fill out a form on my website. A different Zap triggers and puts their basic info into the spreadsheet I’m using. Later, I want to be able to type something into a certain column in the spreadsheet and have it automatically add it to their profile in my email service. 

From what I’ve been able to figure out, the Zap is now firing but it’s not adding the tag to the contact. I looked at the task history and saw that when it fired and got to the stage where it should send the info to update, it was just sending the email address, not the new tag. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for the extra detail @strigs, I think that we’ll need the Support Team to take a look at this to see if they can find the source of the trouble. I’ve escalated this post and someone will be in touch via email as soon as possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @strigs - It looks like our team may have reached out to you recently. We’re sorry that the Zap didn’t work out for you, but Emile sent you a possible solution should you ever want to try to configure your Zap again:

Right now, every field on that page is empty, which means the Zap is finding the contact in ActiveCampaign, but then not doing anything with it.

If you look at this image, you can see how you can resolve this:

By adding "Tags" into the "Tags" field, it will take the data from Google Sheets and add it to ActiveCampaign.