Best answer

Google Sheets Zap - Can I get before and after values from a trigger column?

• 11 December 2022
  • 7 replies

I have a Google Sheets to Google Sheets zap. 

In spreadsheet A (“Projects”), the zap watches for changes to a column (“Deadline Date”). 

When a “Deadline Date” is changed, I create a row in spreadsheet B (“Date Changes”). 

I’d like to include the Project Name (easy), the new “Deadline Date” value (also easy), and also the PREVIOUS value (basically so I can see the new deadline date and the original date it got changed from. 

I can’t figure out how to grab the original date value  – help!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 14 December 2022, 00:03

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @apay 

Good question.

GSheets doesn’t provide the before/after value for a cell.

You can achieve this by using another column to track the last value. “Deadline Date - Last”

Essentially, after the Zap runs to add the new row to the other GSheet, then you’d update the original GSheet with the new value for future reference.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @apay! How are you? Just wanted to pop in and see if you needed any further assistance. Let us know!

*Edited to move to a thread 

Hi @apay! How are you? Just wanted to pop in and see if you needed any further assistance. Let us know!

Getting closer but not solved yet on my side!

Hi @apay 

Good question.

GSheets doesn’t provide the before/after value for a cell.

You can achieve this by using another column to track the last value. “Deadline Date - Last”

Essentially, after the Zap runs to add the new row to the other GSheet, then you’d update the original GSheet with the new value for future reference.

Ah, so a multi-step zap? 

I’m still not sure how, once the “Deadline” value is edited, triggering the Zap, you would send the old value to the “Deadline-Last” column. 

it seems like once the edit takes place, the zap is triggered but the pre-edit value is lost? 

if anyone can outline what the zap steps would be, I would really appreciate it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@apay 

Try these steps...

1. Trigger: GSheets - New/Updated Row
    1. Spreadsheet A
  2. Action: GSheets - Create Row
    1. Spreadsheet B
  3. Action: GSheets - Update Row
    1. Spreadsheet A
    2. Use Row ID from Step 1
    3. Set the Deadline Date value as the Deadline Date Last value
Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@apay - checking in to see how are coming along with this Zap, let me know if you need any help or have any other questions. 

Best,

Rachael