Question

Google sheets to docs - issues with template

• 29 February 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

Hi all, first time poster here and relatively new user. I've recently set up a initial appointment form for my partners business and been working on a template that works with zapier so that the data that is pushed into Google Sheets from Forms turns into a document for that client.

I have it all working, but have one issue. If a field is not mandatory in the form, and is subsequently left blank, when the template document is filled, it ends up with: {{examplefield}} instead of a blank field.

Let's say the form has a required question "Have you been in a vehicle accident or suffered from a serious injury?"

Followed by an optional "If yes..., please provide information.." type question. If this question is left blank, the document produced by zapier will show {{ifyes..}}

My workaround has been to reword all optional questions and make them all mandatory, but maybe there is an option so that if a field has no data, it just remains blank?

Thank you in advance. (the attached image is just a google form I submitted for demonstration purposes and is the zapier output of the Google sheet using a template I made)

Screenshot_20200229-174859_Docs.jpg

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there,

Happy to help! It looks like the template field name will show if there isn't a value added to it. However, there is a workaround which can be leveraged by creating an if/then statement for if a field exists.

Check out this post, which illustrates how to create an if/then statement and please let us know if you have any further questions!

Thanks!