Best answer

Google Sheets Spreadsheet - Search and avoid duplicate entry

• 21 August 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3

We have connect our website form with Google sheet.

Users sometime do fill inquiry form two times.

I want to zapier to check existing email id of user in spreadsheet before creating new row.

icon

Best answer by Noah Manger 22 August 2020, 01:05

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi there! A simple way to do this is to replace your “Create row” action with a “Lookup spreadsheet row” action (screenshot).

Set that step to search by email address, and then check the box at the bottom to create a new row if none is found (screenshot).

If one is found, nothing will happen. But if one isn’t found, a new row will be created (like you have now). Hope that helps!

Userlevel 3

Solved. Thanks a ton.

Hi @Noah Manger, just saw this thread because my client encountered the same error, he encountered a duplicate entry ( twice last March but not yet since then and he didn’t change anything on the set-up), he asked me to figure it out, but when I checked the Zap flow it was set up correctly as you suggested here. Do you think there’s another cause of duplicate entry?

Thanks in Advance!

Mye

Userlevel 2

@Mye very strange. I would expect the “Lookup spreadsheet row” to not throw that error and instead just create a new row. I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team with a link to the Zap and they can take a look: zapier.com/app/contact-us

Sorry I can’t be more help, but if you get an answer that works, I recommend sharing it back here so others can benefit!

@Noah Manger, thank you so much for your reply. I asked my client to let me monitor the entry if we will still get a duplicate entry since it's been already two months when we got a duplicate. If we still get a duplicate that was the time that I will reach out to the Zapier Support team. And yes, will definitely share here the answer when that happens.

Thank you!