Best answer

Google Sheets 'New Row' Never Triggers

• 4 August 2021
  • 7 replies

I’ve hit a wall here and am wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I have several zaps that add rows to a google sheet that have bee chugging merrily along for one week. I have another zap that listens for new rows on this sheet that has also been fine...until today. Now the ‘New Row’ event in zapier will not trigger for ANY google sheet I attempt to add it to. Old, new, none.

The zaps which add rows to the sheet are still working fine however.

The Zapier status page seems to say there isn’t an infra issue right now, so what the heck is happening? Why doesn’t the ‘New Row’ trigger work for any google sheets anymore? I’ve tried the Team Drive version and the Instant version of the trigger with no success. I’ve tried creating a new blank sheet and the trigger never fires. I’ve tried removing and re-adding the credentials for the google account a few times as well.

icon

Best answer by Danvers 16 August 2021, 17:20

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @reactdev 

The Google Sheets trigger on my Zap stopped working

If your Google Sheets trigger stops working suddenly, first check if you’ve accidentally inserted a blank row anywhere in the spreadsheet. Zapier interprets a blank row as the end of the spreadsheet and may have trouble finding any new rows below it.

In addition to this, making the following changes to your spreadsheet while the Zap is turned on can cause errors:

• Deleting existing rows or columns.
  • Adding rows anywhere other than to the bottom of your sheet.
  • Resorting the sheet.
  • Renaming/adding/rearranging columns.
  • Renaming the sheet.
  • Filtering the sheet.

If you need to make any of those changes to your Google Sheet, turn your Zap off while you work on the spreadsheet, and then turn it back on again.

The Google Sheets trigger is marked "instant" but it still takes a few minutes to trigger

The triggers for Google Sheets are unique among Zapier triggers. When there is a trigger event in the spreadsheet, Zapier gets a notification webhook from Google about this. After that, Zapier sends Google Sheets a request for new data, so it uses both the polling and instant trigger methods. This process takes about 3 minutes overall.

While not being "instant", these triggers are faster than regular polling ones, as they don't depend on the polling interval of the plan your account uses.

Hi, thanks for the reply! As I mentioned in my post, I’ve tried this with a fresh google sheet with no success so unfortunately nothing in either of those is relevant to my particular issue of the G Sheets New Row trigger never firing (and I do mean never, it’s been 12 hours since this started happening)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@reactdev 

Might be best to open a ticket with Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

I’m having the same. If you get anything from support please can you post? Thanks 

Nothing helpful from support, but I just had a huge batch of ‘instant’ New Row zaps fire at 1:30am, so that would be about an 8 hour delay from when I was trying to test them. Seems like Zapier must have been having a severe infrastructure issue that wasn’t reported or some kind of internal queue was broken just for my account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

HI @reactdev and @darrenh!

We did see an issue with the Google Sheets instant triggers and we’re investigating why that happened. I’m sorry that it affected your Zaps, I know how frustrating it is when Zaps don’t work in the way that you expect them to.

We have an issue report for this and I’ve added you both to the list of affected users, which means that we’ll send you an email when we have an update. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi everyone!

As I mentioned in my last post, we did have an issue that was affect Google Sheets triggers and this should now be resolved. If you’re still having trouble with your Google sheets Zaps, here’s a couple of things to try:

1. If the Zap does trigger but takes a very long time (longer than your usual polling interval), please turn your Zap off and on again. If that doesn’t solve the issue, please contact the Support team using the Get Help form. 
  2. If the Google Sheets Zap isn’t triggering at all, please read through this Google Sheets help guide. If that doesn’t help you to identify and solve the issue, please get in touch with the Support team so that they can take a closer look at your Zap with you.