Question

Google Sheets - How to input data in the same column, but next available row

• 13 January 2023
  • 5 replies

I have a form that inputs answers in a google sheet, then a zap sends those form answers to chatgpt.

What I’m looking for is to have the response from chatgpt be pulled into the same row as the answers were. The answers from chatgpt will always be column C, but will change row dynamically with the input from the initial form.

I have figured out how to get the response into the right columns, but they are always into the same row, row 3, and they continue to override the same input, never dynamically moving down the sheet. 

Does anyone have experience with this?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @CPaul

Good question.

You need to dynamically map the Row/ID from step 1 to the GSheet Update Row action into the Row field.

Can you please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured so we have more context?

NOTE: I want to clarify that you are using the Zap app OpenAI with Action: Send Prompt, and not acutually ChatGPT.

Thanks for showing interest! 

To address you note first, correct, I am using the Zap app OpenAI with action: Send Prompt. 

I am trying to help a friend create a dating profile based on some survey questions. Google forms can add the information from the form into the google sheet and then I have created the zap flow below.

What ends up happening is the response from chatgpt gets added to the top of the google sheet, but I want it to specifically be entered into column D and E of the same row that the information was pulled from. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CPaul 

Make sure to review the available help articles for using GSheets in Zaps: https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/help

How to set up your Google spreadsheet to work with Zapier

If you want the same row that triggered the Zap to be updated with the data from the OpenAI steps, then you need to use this Zap action: GSheets - Update Row

Issue may be related to the hidden column A.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CPaul 

As an alternative you can use Airtable, which is a lite database app: https://zapier.com/apps/airtable/integrations

Airtable has Form Views: https://support.airtable.com/docs/how-to-create-a-form-in-airtable

Airtable avoids many of the GSheet limitations when used in Zaps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey there @CPaul - checking in on this thread! As Troy mentioned, it sounds like the *Update Row* may be the better fit for the data you are moving into GSheets. 

If you are flexible about your tools, I also can vouch for Airtable- it’s a bit of a challenge to get everything set up (especially if you’re already humming in GSheets) but it can be worth it, especially if you’re doing a lot of different views/data manipulation. 

Either way, we’re here to help you, and let us know if you were able to figure it out or if you need additional support.

Best- Rachael