Best answer

Google sheets - copy row from one sheet to another

• 9 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have a Google Sheet that contains ALL client notes and logs, named “Prospect Notes”. I have a lot of zaps that document the zap’s actions into this sheet…. like “Google contact created” or “Gmail label added” as well as all the notes that the sales person adds to their file in Smartsheets. 

Then I have a separate Google sheet for each individual prospect that contains only notes for that prospect. A zap creates this sheet from a template and gives it the title “First name Last name”

I want to automatically copy notes as they are added from the main sheet “Prospect Notes” to each individual prospect’s sheet “First name Last name”

When I create the zap. there is no look up function to find the individual sheet. 

So I just use the event “Create spreadsheet row”

To select the spreadsheet to copy to, instead of selecting from the available spreadsheet options, I used Custom, and entered “First name Last name” from the available fields. See screen shot.

Then to select the worksheet I used custom again and entered the worksheet name “All Notes”

So in theory, the zap should look for the Google Sheet with my prospect’s name as the title “First name Last name” and then look in that sheet to find the worksheet “All Notes” and then copy the new row into this sheet.

It’s not working and not sure how to get the Zap to locate the individual spreadsheet to copy to. If I select a spreadsheet from the available choices, then it won’t work as the individual sheet will be different when the notes are from different prospects.

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 10 June 2022, 16:31

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Davyn 

Good question.

Here’s an alternative approach to consider.

Use Airtable instead of GSheets.

1. Airtable is a relational database app
  2. Airtable has Views of data in a Table
  3. Views have Filters (e.g. Name = XXX)
  4. Views can be shared via a link
  5. Views can be exported as as CSV
Badge

Hi Troy and thanks for the recommendation but I need to keep everything in Google apps for this application.

This seems like a simple thing to figure out. I will see if I can figure out a work around. Any other ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Davyn 

This will likely be your best resource:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Davyn! I wanted to pop in and see if you were able to get this sorted using the resource Troy shared?

Keep us posted! 😊

Badge

No… I made an attempt but it didn’t work out. I am just wrapping up my app and will hire someone more experienced to complete this and some other zaps I had troubles with. Do you guys have anyone I can hire for a handful of zaps to figure out?