Best answer

Google Sheet: Updating a specific cell in google sheet

• 4 May 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi, I would like to know if is possible to update specific cells in google Sheet?  

Is it also possible to rename the tabs? 

icon

Best answer by andywingrave 4 May 2020, 15:51

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey! Updating specific cells requires you to update the row using the “Update row” action. Once in there you can choose the specific column from that row you want to update.

I don’t think it’s possible to rename the tabs though, via Zapier :neutral_face:

Userlevel 2

Thank you very much I will try that. 

How can you choose the column?

All I see is a way to choose the row to update, then you can map a value into the columns for that row. But that’s not “choosing” which column (and thus exactly which cell) to put the value into. 

We need to put a value into a chosen row and a chosen column (thus the address of a single cell).
How can we do that?

In the image below I need to use the data from a prior Zap step to choose which column (101, 102, or 103) and then put a single value into the cell.  (e.g. Row AAA, Column 102)

No this is not a “B-7… You sank my battleship” kind or game, but it’s kind of the same principle where we need to choose BOTH the row and the column. 

Any ideas?  There seems to be no “column chooser / finder / search / lookup”

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sorry - I meant row 

:blush:

Userlevel 1

How can you choose the column?

All I see is a way to choose the row to update, then you can map a value into the columns for that row. But that’s not “choosing” which column (and thus exactly which cell) to put the value into. 

We need to put a value into a chosen row and a chosen column (thus the address of a single cell).
How can we do that?

In the image below I need to use the data from a prior Zap step to choose which column (101, 102, or 103) and then put a single value into the cell.  (e.g. Row AAA, Column 102)

No this is not a “B-7… You sank my battleship” kind or game, but it’s kind of the same principle where we need to choose BOTH the row and the column. 

Any ideas?  There seems to be no “column chooser / finder / search / lookup”

@kevin_at_teamworkiq did you ever figure out a way to do this? i have the same need. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@kevin_at_teamworkiq @pshifrin Can you tell me a bit more about what would determine which column you’d be adding data to. So in that screenshot where there’s 101, 102 and 103 what would happen in the trigger to make you add data to a specific column? That may help us find a workaround here :)

what would be ideal is to lookup multiple criteria to determine the correct row. 

for example, updating “TASK 1” only when the batch, grade, and unit all match

BATCH GRADE UNIT TASK
B1 6 1 TASK 1
B1 6 1 TASK 2
B1 6 1 TASK 3
B1 7 2 TASK 1
B2 7 1 TASK 2
B1 7 1 TASK 3

@kevin_at_teamworkiq @pshifrin Can you tell me a bit more about what would determine which column you’d be adding data to. So in that screenshot where there’s 101, 102 and 103 what would happen in the trigger to make you add data to a specific column? That may help us find a workaround here :)

Hello! I have the same feature request.

I have a spreadsheet that has N columns and a new column is generated every day. Throughout the day, I have certain events that trigger and would like to update the most recent column automatically. But as it is currently set up, there is no way to specify which column to update dynamically (like you can do with the Row). So, specifying the column and the value for that column would help me greatly!

Alternatively, I could see a whole new Spreadsheet Action Event being created called Update Spreadsheet Range which would behave more like the raw Google Sheets API allowing you to do even more customizable things. e.g. If I wanted to update the row 5 column C, I could specify the range “MySheet!C5” and its corresponding value. Or I could update all the whole column by doing “MySheet!C:C” and the value would be a JSON array of values.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@CPU thanks for the detailed information!

I’m unsure if there is currently an open feature request for this functionality but the best way to raise this is through our Support Team. They can be contacted here to add you to one (if it exists) or create a new one for you!