Question

Google Sheeets vlookup

• 31 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Use-Case: 

• I have a connection to a google sheet, each new entry creates a row in google sheet with an integer, a specific ID
  • I want to convert the ID with a vlookup in Google sheets to a string

How I tried to do it: 

• I created an additional empty field in zapier
  • in the Google Sheet I have a vlookup in the last column for converting the integer into a string

Problem: 

• In the Google sheet the field that is empty in the Zapier-Mapping gets shown as #NV. Any new row coming in from zapier gets added below the last #NV. The vlookup gets ignored

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @mathiasmenzl 

Good question.

Perhaps consider using a different approach by using Airtable instead of GSheets.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @mathiasmenzl! I’m an Airtable fan as well (makes vlookups super easy) however, if you’re wanting to stick with Google Sheets, I wonder if you could use this “default value” workaround to always populate something in that column?

https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496278339725-Set-default-values-for-blank-fields-in-Zaps#2-set-up-the-default-value-text-transform-0-1

Check it out and let us know what you think and which route you end up going. We want to make sure you’re good to go here! 🙂