Question

Google Forms workflow - first create folder form response, then save response in folder

• 7 February 2023
  • 4 replies

This seems like it should be simple, but I can’t figure it out. Fair warning: I am new to Zapier and new to workflows and trying to figure this out for my nonprofit.

I want to create a workflow in which when a new google form response is submitted, two things happen:

1 - a new Google Drive folder is created based on a response in the form (name of client)

2 - the responses from the form are saved in the new Drive folder just created.

I can get step one set up just fine. I cannot figure out what workflow I need to achieve step two.  Once the first workflow is created  (trigger=new response in google form, action=create custom-named google drive folder), I can not add another action that relates to Google Forms. I tried building in a delay but still have “no option available” when trying to create another action involving Google Forms. 

I presume they need to be built into the same Zap since it is self-referential (i.e., the newly named folder is where the response should be dropped, so it has to refer to that.)

I have looked through the support and can’t find an answer to this, perhaps because this problem is too simple. Before I decide whether Zapier is the solution I will want to invest time in, I want to ensure it can perform this seemingly simple task.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Froggah04 

Good question.

Please clarify what you mean by this: the responses from the form are saved in the new Drive folder just created.

Do you mean each response is added to the GDrive folder as a new GDoc or something else?

Perhaps outline a specific example for us.

Yes, that’s what I mean.  Responses from the form are converted into a Google Doc, and that Google Doc is saved within the newly-created folder that is named after the client name (one of the form fields).

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Froggah04 

Try this Zap action: GDoc - Create Doc from Template

Help article: https://zapier.com/blog/create-autopopulate-google-docs-template/

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Froggah04 Hi, just checking back in! Were you able to try the Zap action Troy recommended? If yes, was it successful in creating a document to fall within the appropriate client folder?