Best answer

Google Drive - How do I find an image file uploaded by google forms?

• 28 September 2022
  • 7 replies

How do I find the file that was uploaded? I’ve tried every single one of these and they don’t find the file.

icon

Best answer by jesse 27 October 2022, 19:52

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Twolak 

Good question.

This is a GDrive link.

@Troy Tessalone 

Thank you for the response.

This is what shows when I choose that option. The file name in google drives defaults to whatever the file was named before upload, but it has nothing to do with the link pushed out by google forms. How do I get from that link to the image in Google Drive to send it somewhere else?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Twolak 

It’s unclear based on your screenshots what app and action you are trying to use.

Using files in Zaps: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/send-files-in-zaps

@Troy Tessalone 

Sorry for being unclear. Let me try to clarify.

1. Google form input with a few questions and an option to upload an image file.
  2. Create task in Clickup with the input data from the form. 

Current Attempt
  3. Post attachment in clickup - (See below)

The File is the link that is generated by the form. I can load this image in a private web browser, so the permissions are correctly set to public. The link works.

I get this:

It uploads the attachment fine to clickup, but it is a .view file and not an image.

I’ve tried to do the following (Same steps 1 and 2 as above.​​​​​​​

1. Find a file in google drive.
    What do I enter for “Filename” here are my options in this Zap

My hang up is on finding the file. None of my options from the form upload correlate to the file that was just uploaded. What else can I try? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Twolak 

The GDrive File URL needs to be a direct download link, not the view link.

You’ll have to add a Formatter > Text > Split step to extract the File ID.

Then structure the File Attachment link to be dynamic like this: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=[FILEID]

Replace [FILEID] with the value from the previous step.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Twolak! I wanted to pop in and see how you were getting along with this?

Keep us posted - we definitely want to make sure you’re all squared away here! 🤗

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Twolak! Just circling back here after catching up on your related ticket to our support team. It looks like my colleague Peter’s recommendation was the same as @Troy Tessalone’s. I will paste their response here for reference in hopes this helps others who may be running into the same issue!

I see the issue you are running into here. Since the file name doesn't come in through the Google Form, I think using the Google Drive Add File Sharing Preference might be the best route to getting the info you need to complete this workflow. 

The file URL from Google Forms has the File ID at the end of the URL. I did a small test to confirm this and was able to see this File in the list of File IDs for the Add File Sharing Preference step. 

But in order to get that ID we'll need to separate from the rest of the URL. You can do this with a Split Text Formatter step to split on the "=" sign in the URL. You'll want to select "second" for the Segment Index so the step returns only what comes after the "=" sign. 

You can then map this output into the Add File Sharing Preference step. This set should give you the shareable URL you need for the Post Attachment step. 

Then structure the File Attachment link to be dynamic like this: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=[FILEID]

Replace [FILEID] with the value from the previous step.