Best answer

Google Drive "Find a File" Search for an exact match

• 6 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3

My experience with the Find a File in Google Drive action is that the search will return non-exact matches.  For example, I am running a search for the file name ‘A&B - 5 - A.pdf’, but the search returns any variation of this that might also be in the same folder (e.g. ‘A&B - 58 - A.pdf’ or ‘A&B - 55 - A.pdf’).  Is it possible to only search for an exact match?  Is there something in the same or query that is allowing this?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by msandrew 6 October 2021, 19:21

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @msandrew 

Try putting double quotes around the searched file name.

e.g. “File Name”

GDrive help article: https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375114?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop#zippy=%2Cadvanced-search-in-google-drive

Userlevel 3

@Troy Tessalone Yes, I tried that already.  Here is response from Zapier if anyone is interested:

I've done some digging into this on our end and found an existing bug report open for an issue similar to what you are describing. The way the Find a File search action is implemented, it looks if file name contains specified words instead of doing a full match.  

I don't have the timeframe on a fix but I've added your email address to the bug report so that you can be notified when the issue is resolved.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for keeping the Community updated with your findings, @msandrew! I’ve made a note of that on our end so we’ll be sure to post in this thread as soon as we know more. 🙂

Userlevel 1

I tried setting the serach term in “searchterm” but it still locates a match that is not exact.  Has anyone found a workaround for this?

Userlevel 1

I am having the same problem for folder names as well.  There is no way to find the exact match, only a similar match.