Question

Gmail to Evernote Keep Format of email

• 5 September 2022
  • 3 replies

I’m trying to set up a Zap that will auto-forward emails and adds the normal forward header you see when you manually forward an email.  However, when I even just insert the body field it doesn’t keep the original format of the email and it’s just garbled up with no formatting.  How do I keep the format of the body of the email and add some info to the note formatted?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @tbogg!

I’m sorry that your Zap isn’t working the way that you want it to, could you take a screenshot of the Evernote step of your Zap so we can see how it’s set up? That will give us a better idea of where to start. Don’t forget to remove or obscure any personal or private information in any screenshot you share in the community (eg full name, email address, etc). Thanks!

Here you go.  I did try adding like <p></p> and <br> with the info at the top to get the formatting for the header info I wanted to add but I get an error. So I removed that.  I don’t know do I need to do a full HTML page worth of tags starting with <body>,,,,

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @tbogg, thanks for the screenshot. 

I did a bit of digging and I’ve found that this might be because Evernote uses a particular type of html (a version that’s unique to them). The majority is the same as regular html, so your <p>, <body>, etc tags should work. 

I’m wondering if there’s any hidden html in the body plain part of the Gmail message that’s causing the error. I know that it should be plain text by definition but I was just curious if there was any in there. 

Another potentially useful clue I found was this statement:

Every tag must be closed and properly balanced, so instead of using <hr>, you must use <hr/>

So it looks like a paragraph would need to be:

<p/> Here is some text in my note </p> 

Could you give that a try and see if that works? If so, do let us know so I can let the team know that we need to update the help text for that action. Thanks!