Best answer

Gmail threats to Notion database

• 20 April 2023
  • 5 replies

I created a zap to add a notion database every time an email was labeled, when I label an email that has a thread, it created one database for every email in the thread meaning I have multiple databases for the same email. Is there a way to set this up so that the whole thread gets counted as one? 

icon

Best answer by Brem 21 April 2023, 20:27

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @lizeth.v 

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

To ensure we’re working on the same page, could you send screenshots of how you’ve configured the steps of the Zap so far? That’ll help me make sure I give you the best suggestion possible.

(If there’s any personal information, kindly blur them.)

Looking forward to your response!

Hi @Charie 

This is how I have my notion end of things. This lead to one database getting created for every single email in a thread. So when I label a threat I get multiple databases for every response rather than one database for the whole thread. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @lizeth.v 

Upon checking, this isn’t possible now but looking at our records, we currently have a feature request open for this functionality you want to achieve. I'm happy to add you to this request, and should the team ever add support for this feature, we'll be sure to send you an email to let you know.

As a workaround, I suggest adding Find Database item in Notion after the trigger and Filter step. We can use the message_url from Gmail to search for existing database item in Notion then Filter the Zap to only continue if Zap Data Was Found is FALSE.

Please refer to the screenshots below:

bec98634f94997767dd5c6fcf80b6d80.png

ba0781660a5f3544d10d7dcbb1e7a775.png

Hopefully this helps!

Hi @Brem 

Can you expand on what filters to apply here?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @lizeth.v 

Here’s how I think your Zap should be:

1. Trigger: “New Labeled Email” in Gmail.
  2. Action: “Find Database Item” in Notion. This searches for an item in a database by property. Here’s the great thing about this action step. It can create a database if nothing was found. This will act as your new “Create database Item.” Please make sure that the checkbox is ticked. See the screenshot below.

3. Action: “Update Database Item” in Notion. This updates a database item. You can update it base on new information from the thread.

Please give it a try and keep us posted.