Best answer

Gmail attachments and inline images are not included in the data I'm trying to send to Clubhouse

• 2 September 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Here is my zap setup:

In my test, it correctly finds the labeled email. The email has both an inline image file in the body, and a file attachment.

I want to put the full email into the description, so I used Body HTML and All Attachments. Even before I test the zap, the All Attachments tag shows “no data” which says to me the Gmail fetch is not capturing the attachment.

And not surprisingly when I run the test, only the text makes it into clubhouse. The inline image and the attachment file are not there at all.

icon

Best answer by Danvers 3 September 2020, 12:04

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Trigger: Gmail - New Attachment

Userlevel 1

But I don’t want the zap to trigger EVERY time there is a new attachment. Only on emails that have the defined label. It’s just that in the scenario where the labeled email also has an attachment the attachment data is missing.

Unless I misunderstand what you’re saying?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

User a Filter Step: https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

Filter for emails that have the desired Label.

NOTE: This will only work if the label is applied via an inbound Gmail Filter Rule.

Userlevel 1

Are you saying that the attachment only works if I use the New Attachment trigger plus a filter? I mean the right emails are being zapped, the problem is that the content of the emails is incomplete.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

For the Trigger: Gmail - New Attachment, this data point exists to be used in the Action steps, which will be 1 per attachment in an email.

For other Trigger the attachments are available but are bundled in a Zip file.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi Jenny!

Troy is right that if you have more than one attachment on an email, then the New Email (or New labelled Email if that’s the trigger you’re using) trigger will bundle all of the attachments together. That means that if you want to do something with the attachments individually (for example if you want use an image in another step) then the New Email trigger wont do what you need. 

The New attachment trigger will trigger the Zap for each attachment on an email, so you can get at them individually. You can then use a filter so that the Zap only continues if the email has a specific label. You can also add a condition to the filter so that the Zap will only continue if the attachment is a specific file type (eg jpeg). 

One key piece here is what the Clubhouse description field will accept. If it’s a text field, then it’s not possible to add an image file to it. If you’re not sure what type of field the Description field is, this guide to Different field types explains the different field types in Zaps and how you can tell which is which. I hope that helps!

Userlevel 1

Hm… it seems like neither is a good option for what I wanted to do.

Some of the emails do not have attachments and I want to send those to Clubhouse, so the “new attachment” trigger won’t catch all the emails.

But it does look like maybe the Clubhouse integration is also insufficient for adding attachments, since there isn’t a target field for them exposed -- only the description.

Clubhouse’s description does allow embedding images into that field, but it may require a particular formatting that doesn’t translate through this channel.

Doesn’t seem like Zapier can do want I wanted it to do. :(