Question

Getting the next specific date of a specific month from today (Formatter)

• 28 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi folks, trying to use formatter to get a specific date in the next twelve months.  So lets say I meet with a client every January 15th - how do I get the formatter to give me an output that’s “the next January 15” from today?  I tried doing input “next January 15” but it keeps giving me a date in 01-15-2025 instead of 01-15-2024 (the next one at the time of this post).  Appreciate the help!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ChrisDiodato 

Good question.

Try using Date/Time Modifiers.

Hi @tessalone !  Sorry for the late reply on this and thanks for sending me this information.  This seems like a really good solution for trying to format dates to add specific amounts of time to the current date if it can be measured in days, months, years, etc.  but what I’m trying to do is just get Zapier to find the next January. 

In other words, If I have an input of 9/22/2023 or 3/2/2023, I want Zapier to give me the next January first (01/01/2024).  Think this is possible?  Thanks!

@Troy Tessalone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ChrisDiodato 

The Formatter step worked for me when I tested.

Thanks for the reply @Troy Tessalone and for bearing with me with all of this.  Right, so formatter with add/subtract gets you a specific date in relation to today’s date -- I’m looking for something different.

I’m trying to get January 15th of the following year regardless of what the input date is.  I’m trying to do this so I can use the date to set up tasks in my Wealthbox for new clients which occurs every January.

So ideally I have a client fill out a google form on 6/1/2024 (the input).  I’d like to create a function that gives me 1/15/2025 (January 15th of the following year).  Or another example, they fill out the form on 12/10/2023 -- I’d like the function to give me January 15th of the following year (1/15/2024).  Does this make sense?  Again, really appreciate your help!

This thread seemed like it was on the right track but it was specific to day of the week:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ChrisDiodato 

Why not simplify it to this…

Change the To Format to be a custom value of YYYY, which will return just the year.

Then in the desired fields you can set a hybrid value like this: [YYYY]-01-15

Where [YYYY] is the variable for the year returned from the Formatter step.