Question

getting information from another zap

• 10 December 2022
  • 5 replies

I have a zap where every time someone fills out a form it creates a new google spreadsheet. Now, I have created multiple forms connected to the main form (when someone clicks next it redirects them to a new form and so on) How do we pull information from zap 1 to zap 2 (I want to get the google sheet id from zap 1 and add it to zap 2)?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Jordanmachspeedmediasolutions 

Good question.

Zaps can be linked together using Webhooks: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/help

Zap 1

1. Trigger: ???
  2. Action: Webhook - POST Request
    1. Use the generated webhook url from Zap 2, Step 1

Zap 2

1. Trigger: Webhook - Catch Hook
    1. Use the generated webhook url in Zap 1, Step 2
  2. Action: ???
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Jordanmachspeedmediasolutions!

Another option is to look at Sub-Zaps by Zapier: https://zapier.com/apps/sub-zap-by-zapier/integrations

It can be a little tricky to get set up, and it may not work in your particular use case (you’d have to try it out), but I figured I’d mention it just in case :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Jordanmachspeedmediasolutions!

Adding one more possible solution for you. You could use Storage by Zapier to store the value of your Google Sheet ID (and any other information from Zap 1). It would look like:

Zap 1:

Trigger: Form 1 Submitted

Action: Google Sheets, etc...

Action: Storage by Zapier to store key/value pairs (ie. Google Sheet ID = ???, Name = ???, etc.)

Zap 2:

Trigger: Form 2 Submitted

Action: Storage by Zapier to retrieve values saved to each key.

Action: ???

The problem with this solution is that it relies on form 1 and 2 being filled out by the same user in sequence. If one person submits form 1 and begins form 2, and then another person submits form 1 and 2 in the time it take the first person to complete and submit form 2, you could potentially get some incorrect entries, unintended duplicates, or overwrite the information altogether. There are ways to mitigate this, but would require some extra fanciness that is a bit difficult to cover in a single comment.

Let us know if you give any of these proposed solutions a try and if one seems to work best for your needs! We’re all here to help!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jordanmachspeedmediasolutions 

Another option is to use the concept of a lookup table.

GSheets, Airtable work well for this.

You’ll need to make sure each row/record has a unique ID you can use to search by.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Heya @Jordanmachspeedmediasolutions - I wanted to swing by and see how you’re getting along with this?

It looks like you have some great recommendations here to try out! Keep us posted! 🙂