Question

generating incremental numbers in Google Sheets

• 9 November 2022
  • 6 replies

Hello!  I have a very simple WPForms → Google sheets zap set up.   Somebody completes my form on a website, a new row is generated in Google Sheets. 

I will create another zap that will take the info in that row and email it to the customer and to our office.  I want to create a unique identifying number in each row so we can say, “Your reference number is 10001”

The next zap that populates the next row would show that reference number (+1) so in the above example the new reference number would be 10002. 

WP forms does have a field called “ID” that increases by 1 with every new entry but those numbers start at “1” so my next reference number would be “2”, etc..  We’d prefer if those numbers started at 10000. 

If Formatter is my answer then I believe that would require a multi-step zap (and a PRO account), is that correct? 

Thanks! 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Nico3333 

Good question.

Try using this Zap action: Storage - Increment Value

Thank you Troy,  where would this fit in my zap?   Would using this make it a multi-step zap requiring me to upgrade to a pro account? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Nico3333 

Yes, that would make it a multistep zap. 

Alternatively, you can just pass the number you are getting from WP Form and create a simple formula in Google Sheets that adds the 10000. (this however requires some work on the google sheets side to make the sure the formula is populated every time a new row is added in google sheets.)

I would suggest using Airtable instead as it can do that easier than google sheets using a similar formula. But in Airtable would wouldn't need a work around to fill the formula for each record that populates 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey again @Nico3333!  As Moh mentioned, that would require a paid plan to use something like this with the Storage by Zapier Increment Value action, but spreadsheet formulas outside of Zapier would be excellent as well. 

If you can modify the data before it gets to Zapier, that would help you save on the number of Tasks you need as well in your workflow. 1 Task in Zapier = 1 Successful Action performed in a Zap.  More on that here: https://zapier.com/help/plans-pricing/#task

You can see the plans we offer you here -- any paid plan would let you access multi-step Zaps: https://zapier.com/app/billing/plans

Let us know if you have any more questions! 🖐

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Nico3333 

just use the value from Wordpress and when you pass it to Google Sheets pass it as a formula

so instead of passing just the id on the create row step pass a sheets formula like

=10000+{{INSERT THE iD FIELD}}

Sheets will recognize the formula and perform the math calculations for you, this will leave your zap as a single step and thus you do not need to upgrade. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there @Nico3333! It looks like you have some options here to try out!

Troy recommended:

...using this Zap action: Storage - Increment Value

It’s worth mentioning this route would require a multi-step zap, which is offered under any paid Zapier plan. You can check out some of the options for that here: https://zapier.com/app/billing/plans

@MohSwellam and @RALaBarge suggested using spreadsheet formulas to reduce Zapier task usage:

Alternatively, you can just pass the number you are getting from WP Form and create a simple formula in Google Sheets that adds the 10000. (this however requires some work on the google sheets side to make the sure the formula is populated every time a new row is added in google sheets.)

If you can modify the data before it gets to Zapier, that would help you save on the number of Tasks you need as well in your workflow. 1 Task in Zapier = 1 Successful Action performed in a Zap.  More on that here: https://zapier.com/help/plans-pricing/#task

@GetUWired even outlined what that would look like here:

...so instead of passing just the id on the create row step pass a sheets formula like

=10000+{{INSERT THE iD FIELD}}

Sheets will recognize the formula and perform the math calculations for you, this will leave your zap as a single step

Let us know if you decide to go this route! We’d love to know how you’re getting along. 🤗