Skip to main content
Question

Forward email content to Google Sheet

• 25 August 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi, 

I’m new to Zapier and I’m having difficulties with the first Zap I want to create:

1. I want to be able to forward emails from any email account to a google sheet that others can access and manage. 
  2. To this end I’ve been working on a ‘Forward Inbound Emails to Google Sheets’ Zapier automation, whose simplest forms works as follows: emails forwarded from any email account go to a zapier email account, which then adds them as a row to a spreadsheet. This far I’ve managed to realise. 
  3. Problem: the content – like ‘from name’, ‘from’ (address),  ‘Subject’ – that appears on the new sheet row corresponds to the email account that forwarded the email, instead of the content from the received email that was forwarded. In other words, if I receive an email by, for example, someone called joe, and I, Axel froward it to the Zapier email which will add the row to the sheet, what will appear on the sheet is my email – axel@example.com and not Joe’s – which is what I intended!
  4. I’ve tried adding a formatter action in between sending the email and the new sheet row action, intending to extract from the forwarded content the information that follows ‘from:’ and ‘subject’ at the start of the email body. I may be doing this wrong but it is not working, defaulting to my/Axel email again. 

Has anyone else tried a similar Zap and can suggest how one can get to my intended result? I expected this to be much more straightforward than it has turned out to be…

Many thanks. 

Axel

Hi there @AVM,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Before we dig deeper into this, would you mind sharing a detailed screenshot of how your Zap is configured? Also, please share a screenshot of the “Action” section of the action step that shows all of its fields. Like so:

46dd6c0979e3d815d621b8da43084ef1.png
(view larger)

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks!