Best answer

Formatting a name as LAST name, First Name

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

HI,

I am trying to format a name for the Customer Display Name field in Quickbooks Online from a HubSpot contact.

I tried the format splitter, but can’t get what I need.  I can get the following:

Last Name,First Name

but I need a space after the comma…

Last, First

Any help on how to get a comma and a space between Lastname and Firstname?

Thanks

Scott

icon

Best answer by Scott3294 19 May 2022, 05:14

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Scott3294 

Good question.

Please post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured in order for us to have context, thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi,

Here ya go…

After setting up the trigger, I go to Formatter, Split Text…

and from this, I get…

You can see the output has no space between the comma and last name.

If I put a space between the comma and the last name in the input section of the set up data, I get this output…

So, this is where I am stuck.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Scott

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

UPDATEI tried a third option, I took out the comma and left a space between the names...and the output LOOKED correct in Zapier when I was setting up the Action to create the customer in QB Online…

The output here has a space between Nugent, andt Ted...but when it sent it over to QB...no space.

It could be a limitation on the QB side.

Thanks!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Scott3294

You don’t need a Formatter step.

Try adding a space between these mapped values in the QBO step.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yep, I did...I updated my last answer...you were probably working on this and didn’t see it…

see above...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Scott3294 

Try map as [1. Last Name], [1. First Name]

Make sure there is a , and a space.

Provide screenshots once you’ve done that.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Ok, Got it!!

One of your suggestions pointed in the right direction…

Here’s the solution.

In the Customer information in QB Online, it shows a field for First, a field for Middle, and a field for Last.

Then there is a Customer Display Name field...so just two name options...the fields for the full name and then the Display Name field.

The tricky part is that the Action in Zapier to create a QB Customer actually has THREE options for names.

The first is a required Full Name, the second is the Display Name, and the third option is separate fields for First, Middle, and Last.  I entered the Full Name field (which you have to use separate names because that’s how the name comes from HubSpot), then I got focused on filling out the Display Name field with all the last name, first name, comma, space, junk by using the Formatter...and nothing work.

Then I got your suggestion about putting a space between the name entrees in the full name...I thought you had mistakenly worked with the Full Name field and I was focused on the Display name field.  When I still couldn’t get it to work, I re-read your post...then I went back and looked at the fields in the Action for QB...and I noticed that it said if you left the Display name field blank, it would use the full name.  I realized your suggestion might work...so in the full name field, I put LAST then comma then space then FIRST...and BOOM...that worked.  I left display name blank.  Then filled out the separate fields for First Middle and Last...and everything came out correct!!

Thanks..AGAIN...for the great help!! Appreciate it!

Scott

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Woohoo @Scott3294! Glad you and @Troy Tessalone were able to work together to get this all sorted out!