Question

Formatter step to split first three characters from rest of string

• 23 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I am trying to use the Formatter step to format phone numbers by splitting the country code from the rest of the number.

I tried to do it using the split text. I need help in knowing what to put in the Separator field.

Thanks,

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @R.A. 

It sounds like you are trying to do this with a Text Formatter step. 

I would recommend using a Number Formatter step (phone formatter) where you can choose an output that doesn’t have the country code.

Here is a picture of what I mean.  Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1

thanks for the above tip.

That works if I wanted to remove the country code.

However, what I want to do is split the country code and send to a destination field and send the rest of the number to another destination field.

Example:

Input: +97300000000

Desired output:

Item1: 973

Item2: 00000000

Appreciate support here.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi Rawan,

In that case, here is a Code by Zapier action that I believe would work for you.

Just make sure that you map the field where you see +5550123456789 so that it will be dynamic.

I’ll also put the code below so you can copy/paste.

let phoneNumber = inputData.number;

phoneNumber = phoneNumber.replace(/\D/g, "");

let countryCode = phoneNumber.slice(0,-10);

let tenDigitNumber = phoneNumber.slice(-10, phoneNumber.length);

output = [{countryCode, tenDigitNumber}];

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the above. That helps.

Would this work with 8 digit numbers ? I see the following note under the phone field in my Action:

“Must be at least a 10- or 11-digit number. This field has a limit of 40 characters.”

The destination has a limit of 8 numbers.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @R.A. 

As far as the code is concerned, you can just change the “-10” in the code to be “-8” in each spot.

Your main issue seems to be that the application you are sending the number to only accepts 10 or 11 digits numbers (likely assuming North American numbers).

I would suggest looking in the settings of your app to see if you can change the phone format to 8 digits.

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@R.A. 

If you want to always remove the first three characters you can change the slice call to slice(3)