Formatter split text - looks like the fields haven't been split

• 16 August 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I am not getting the splits I need.

I have a property address that gets imported from Podio CRM. It’s formatted as:

Address, city, state, zip

I followed the instructions stated in this post. In the first Formatter using Utilities, I am getting separate values for each segment of the address.

Then when I need to use the address only or the city only, I just get the full address again. See images.

Formatter Setup to split address by comma

Address split from Formatter→ Utilities

In the next step, address is not separated

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi there! First of all, I hope you don’t mind me breaking this into a new post - it means that we can better help you to find a solution 🙂

If you want to be able to pick out individual fields in the address, like the street and city, in the Formatter step, select the option ‘All (as separate fields)’ for the segment index. This will give you each part of the address as a separate field that you can use. 

The reason that it looks like the Formatter hasn’t split the text is because the segment index was set to ‘All - as line items’. When you’re looking at the output of a step, line items will be on different lines, generally with a number in front of each line, like the screenshot that you shared:

But when you see line items in the Zap editor (when you’re adding a field to a box in the editor) they will show as comma separated text. In other words, although it looks the same as before, the information has been broken up and organized in a different way. 

I hope that’s all clear - line items can be a bit confusing sometimes!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @FBHHTX ,

I am not sure, because I don’t see the full details in the last screenshot, but I think you are using the wrong field here.

Is there a dropdown menu under the “Fields Mailing-Address Value”  somewhere? This should be there and showing you all the different outputs from the Formatter.
Hope this helps you!

~Bjorn

Userlevel 1

I am having the same problem. Under customize text: I select Split Text, add my input (e.g. Name1, Name2), use a comma as a separator. If I choose “All as Separate Fields” I get:

output:

0:

Item 1: Name1

1:

Item 2: Name2.

But when I use this split text to update a record, I still only see Name1, Name2. I can’t choose a part of the output, just the whole thing. If I choose to output First or Second or Last only, I still get both parts of my input. There is no dropdown menu under the Output Item.