Best answer

Formatter - Separate using any punctuation

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Is it possible to divide in Formatter using any available punctuation (eg . , : ; “ ‘ etc)? I’d like to be able to extract the physical address from an address string, and there are occasionally different dividers used.

icon

Best answer by Danvers 5 May 2022, 16:12

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @mannyv86 

Good question.

With Formatter > Text > Split, you can specify the separator:

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’m looking to use multiple separators, ie split the text on all the separators listed. It appears that ‘Split’ only allows for one separator at a time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@mannyv86 

In that case, you’d likely have to use a Code step.

The JavaScript .split() method supports regex.

Related help topic:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @mannyv86

If you have a paid Zapier account (ie not a Free account) then the AI by Zapier app might work here. AI by Zapier can parse text and break it into separate pieces using AI rather than a specific set of parameters. It’s a lot more powerful than the Formatter, but obviously we can’t guarantee that it will get exactly what you need every time. That said, it has definitely surprised me with how much it can do! 

Here’s a help guide that explains how AI by Zapier works. Another caveat is that it is still in Beta, so it may be update or improved in the future. 

If it does work for you, I’d love to hear how you got on. As it’s a new app, I haven’t heard from many users who use it and it’d be great to hear how you found the set up process, what you’re using it for and/or what else you think you could use it for :) 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Danvers,

Wow, worked beautifully on the first try! Was able to extract the street address, city, state and zip code with very little setup. Had no idea about AI by Zapier, thank you for the suggestion.