Best answer

Find Card in Trello using Form Answer

• 2 February 2021
  • 4 replies

HI,

I’m looking for help with a Trello zap.

When a member submits a Typeform (or I can make it a google form), I would like Zapier to find the card in trello with the members name and then add comment to that / their spefific card.

For example; Joe Bloggs is an exsiting member who will already have a contact card setup on my trello board. When he completes the typeform (ie. What is your full name? What is your t-shirt size), I’d like zapier to dynamicaly search for his card on trello (Card Name will be his name or answer to what is your full name question) and then a add comment to that card. Etc for other members.

I’ve tried to setup this multi zap but I run into invalid ap id error.

Trigger1. New Entry in Typeform
Action2. Find or Create Card in Trello

Action3. Create Comment in Trello

Under Action 2 → Find or Create Card in Trello I used the typeform feild. {{112068689__field_IqtRkxxD4WIk}}

I’ve also tried creating the test card (Lorem ipsum dolor) which did work, but now that it’s created I’m getting invalid app id after Action 3. Create Comment which card name is also set to the same typeform feild.

Any help would be much apperciated.
Thanks

icon

Best answer by GetUWired 2 February 2021, 16:20

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @KHA !

It looks like you are on the right track! As long as the card has been created and the name is an exact match Zapier should find it. Alternatively, you can use the checkbox “Create Trello Card if it doesn’t exist yet?” to create a card if it isn’t found. When testing the second step, your response should look like below

The create comment step should then use the ID returned from step two to Identify the card to add the comment to in the next action. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @KHA 

The data point being used in Step 2 has dummy data from the trigger step.

Try selecting a different record to test with from the trigger: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/change-the-test-data-in-your-zap-trigger

And perhaps submit an actual Typeform first to use to configure your Zap steps.

Hi @KHA !

It looks like you are on the right track! As long as the card has been created and the name is an exact match Zapier should find it. Alternatively, you can use the checkbox “Create Trello Card if it doesn’t exist yet?” to create a card if it isn’t found. When testing the second step, your response should look like below

The create comment step should then use the ID returned from step two to Identify the card to add the comment to in the next action.

Hi  GetUWired - Thank you so much, this is perfect. In hindsight I can see my mistake now in Action 2. It was asking for Card and not Card Name. I have selected the Card ID and its exactly as I wanted it.

In regards to Action ! (Find Card) and ticking “Create Trello Card if it doesn’t exist yet?” - is it possible to find card in ALL lists and only create card in a certian list? - The reason I ask is because when I tick “Create Trello Card if it doesn’t exist yet?” the list becomes a required feild, but it would be better it Find Card looked at all lists on the board.

Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Correct, checking the checkbox makes those fields required in the search. 

If you wanted to search all boards and if not found create on a specific list. You will have to introduce Paths into your workflow (https://zapier.com/paths) which is only available on professional plans or higher. An alternative to using the paths could potentially be filters but that would require having to separate zaps. https://zapier.com/apps/filter/integrations one that continues if the card is found and one that continues if the card isn’t found.