Best answer

Find and update calendar from Google sheet

• 2 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, I have a Google spreadsheet set up to create a Google calendar based on new rows, or update a pre-existing calendar if any data in any row changes. Lastly, it sends an email to designated addresses. Everything works except my Find Event and Update event zaps.

So far, when I create a new row, a new Google calendar is created, but if I update the row, nothing updates in the Google calendar. It stays the same as before. As of right now, the data is test data to ensure everything works properly first.

I tried following the suggestions here, but creating a separate field for the GCal Event ID won’t be possible. There will be multiple people working in this spreadsheet who will either not know how to obtain the ID or remember to input it each time.

Here are my screenshots:

I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 2 January 2024, 22:40

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ekemp2 

When the new GCal Event is created add a step to update the GSheet with the GCal Event ID in a new column.

That way for updated rows, it can use the exiting GCal Event ID.

No need for anyone using the GSheet to know how to obtain the GCal Event ID as that would be done via the Zap.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Troy Tessalone , thank you! Do I add that between steps 2 and 3? In step 2, I checked off create a new GCal Event if it can’t find one already. And which zaps do I use to achieve this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ekemp2 

Realistically you’d need Paths. (requires Pro+ Zapier plan)

One path would be for if there is a GCal Event ID and another path for if there is not from the GSheet trigger data.

You can simplify the logic like this:

If there is no GCal Event ID, then create a GCal Event and update the GSheet Row with the GCal Event ID.

If there is a GCal Event ID, then use that to update the GCal Event.

No GCal Find Event step necessary.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ekemp2 

Here’s another possible issue:

GSheets need to be configured a specific way to be used in Zaps: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496276985101-Work-with-Google-Sheets-in-Zaps#don-t-include-punctuation-in-your-sheet-name-0-3

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ekemp2 

As an alternative, I’d recommend using Airtable instead of GSheets.

Airtable has Automations that have a native integration with GCal.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I got it to work now, thank you @Troy Tessalone!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s awesome @ekemp2! A huge thanks to Troy for pointing you in the right direction!

Happy Zapping! ⚡️