Question

Find a tag in convertkit?

• 4 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there! I’m trying to build an automation that, once someone joins my community (on Circle), it finds the subscriber in Convertkit, checks to be sure they have the purchase tag, and then adds them to the relevant space in Circle. 

The part I can’t figure out - is there any way to check for a tag in Converkit? I can’t find this action no matter how I set up the zap. 

Thanks in advance!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there,  @ebab4138! Great question and we appreciate ya reaching out. 🤗

Were you needing the rest of action steps to continue if the user already has the tag applied in ConvertKit? If you don’t and would like the zap to stop if they already have the tag, I wonder if the following would work:

1. New Member Added - Circle
  2. Find Member - ConvertKit
  3. Filter by Zapier - Tag contains or exists “purchase” (this would ensure only users that don’t have the tag would move onto the next step in the zap)
  4. Add Tag - ConvertKit
  5. Add Member to Space - Circle

Full transparency, the entirety of the workflow would require a paid plan given that it has multiple steps and requires a Filter.  Here’s a bit more on conditional logic if it helps.

Let us know if you think that could work. 🙂 

Userlevel 1

Hi @christina.d yes! Ideally, if they have a certain tag, then the user would be added to a specific group in Circle. I tried with Paths, but now trying with Filter, the tag option doesn’t appear, and my test email does have a tag in ConvertKit: 

I can’t scroll down on this either. :\

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @ebab4138,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

I did some digging into this, and it seems like the “Find Subscriber” doesn’t return the tag information.

To test, could you please setup your Zap like this:

1. New Member Added - Circle
  2. Find Subscriber - ConvertKit
  3. API Request (GET) - ConvertKit
  4. Filter by Zapier - Tag contains or exists “purchase” (this would ensure only users that don’t have the tag would move onto the next step in the zap)
  5. Add Member to Space - Circle

Here’s how to setup the API Request (GET METHOD) - ConvertKit step:

1. Copy this and paste this URL on the “URL” field: https://api.convertkit.com/v3/subscribers/<subscriber_id>/tags?api_key=<your_public_api_key>
  2. Map the Subscriber ID from the 2nd step in the <subscriber_id> text. Like so:
    721470fb5175fbab40f644b91a28627f.png
    (view larger)
  3. Paste your API key to the <your_public_api_key> text. Like so:
    e6afe62bc05723f12aa4f64ca276f046.png
    (view larger)
  4. Test the API Request action step, and it will show you the tag of your subscriber.
    db12e878a49de0fdc0f7907f3ca3569e.png
    (view larger)

Please give that a try, and keep us posted! 😊