Best answer

Filter step for text with exact match isn't catching differences in capitalization.

• 21 April 2022
  • 5 replies

I have a filter step in a zap that is supposed to update a value if it doesn’t exactly match another, including capitalization. However, in a run today, the filter step didn’t pass, even though capitalizations didn’t match.

For example, I would want to update “BigDude” with “Bigdude”. The D in the middle is differently capitalized and as a result I would want to change the value, but this difference did not pass the filter for exact text matching.

How can I catch differences in capitalization so my zap would still run? I could script it but would prefer to use pre-fab steps since I feel like this should be within the scope of Zapier’s filter offerings.

icon

Best answer by christina.d 29 April 2022, 23:40

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Alyssa_B 

Good question.

Check your Zap Runs to see the DATA IN/OUT for the Filter step to see if that provides any clues: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Otherwise, please post screenshots with how your Filter step is configured along with the results of the Zap Run for the Filter step.

I did indeed check the zap run, I can’t share the data in question as it’s proprietary but the example above is an exact parallel for the run in question that didn’t pass the filter. It is a single word name with a capitalized letter in the middle, and the zap did not recognize it as a non-exact match of the previous version of the name. In the direct comparison I can see that it is the capitalized vs. non-capitalized name that were compared.

Here’s a screenshot of the filter:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alyssa_B 

You might be best served by Zapier Support if you are unable to share more detailed data: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Thank you Troy I did!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi friends! 👋🏽 I wanted to pop in and update the thread. 

It looks like the OP came across a known bug in the Filter by Zapier integration. 😞 Specifically, the Filter does not seem recognize the difference of upper vs lower case. While we don’t have an ETA for the fix, they were added to the list of affected users and we’ll email once that’s available. We’ll also be sure to keep the thread updated as well.

In the meantime, as a workaround, my teammate recommended adding a Formatter step that would find the exact step using a regular expression.

@Alyssa_B it also sounds like you may have a unique workaround you found some success with as well! We’d love it if you could share your genius with the Community! 🧠