Best answer

Filter Slack notification for emails

• 29 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi!

Environment: I get CC’d on group emails to clients as I would like to know when automated emails are being sent.

Current set up: I use the Gmail string trigger (which pulls up the correct result), and then that sends me a direct message in slack when that particular email is in the inbox.

My issue:  if I get Cc’d on 30 emails with the same subject line - I get 30 notifications. I’d like to know how to have Zapier limit the notifications to only one notification to span the 30. 

Is there a way to do this?

icon

Best answer by GetUWired 29 April 2021, 20:13

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @nnicole 

Zaps generally work on a per record basis, which is why you get multiple notifications.

You’d have to keep a log of the emails somewhere (GSheet / Airtable) to check first in the Zap before posting a Slack Channel Message.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @nnicole 

Zapier transactions are 1:1 so if you get 30 emails that meet the trigger criteria then Zapier will fire 30 times. 

However, you can filter what makes it to slack by using a database or some intermediary storage such as Google Sheets to determine if you’ve gotten notified about an email with that subject line already

Each time the zap triggers, have it find/create a row on a google sheet (searching by the subject line). If the row is created, pass through to slack and notify you. If the row if found, then that subject line is already on the sheet so no need to pass through to slack. 

Trigger: Gmail

Action: find/create row

Action: Filter on field zap_search_data_was foundd

Action: Notify in Slack

The above could be modified to include a Date column as well so when you do the find/create action you can check the subject line and the date which would allow for you to be notified for the same subject line but on different days. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hey @nnicole, hope you’re well, I just wanted to check in here!

Were you able to get things working with the info from Troy and GetUWired, or can we still help out?