Best answer

Filter Gmail messages from specified sender into New Gmail Label

• 2 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

Thank you so much for your time to help!

I am trying to automate filters and labels in gmail but not sure if filters can be done in Zapier?

The zap looks like this:

New row in Smartsheet triggers New Gmail child Label under an existing parent label.

Then add a gmail filter stating that all emails from/to the specified email (found in Smartsheet cell) are Labeled with the new Child Label.

The only option I see is to add a Label to a message, but that doesn’t tag all email messages from/to the specified email.

Is there a way to do this?

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 2 April 2022, 22:32

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Davyn 

Good question.

Are you trying to Label existing emails in Gmail?

To clarify, Zaps work while ON for new data going forward.

Badge

No, just new incoming and outgoing emails to the specified email address needs the label applied.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Davyn 

Would using a Gmail Filter rule suite your use case?

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6579?hl=en

Badge

Yes but I want to automate this in Zapier, if possible.

I have explored the add label to email but can’t get it to work where it labels emails from a specified email address…. I can only label the email message itself, based on searching for the subject of the email in a zap.

Is there a way to build the zap (or custom development) in order for me to automate assigning a filter to the specified email which then adds the incoming/outgoing emails to the new label that was created? 

Badge

Here are some screen shots of the zap to trigger after new smartsheet row is added. 

I am getting that error at the end of the zap. Everything else works, but can’t add the email to the new label.

And that still doesn’t achieve the desired result of creating the filter for the email address so it saves under the new label.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Davyn 

The Message to be Labeled expects the ID of the email, which should be a variable mapped from step 1.

In the error screenshot, it shows an email address, which is not a valid Message ID.