Question

Feature Request: Dynamically name Zap runs based on step data

• 11 September 2023
  • 8 replies

I’d love to be able to insert something into the Zap run log that can help me find the run for a specific item.

E.g.: We use Zapier almost exclusively with Asana on a couple of very busy projects. When there are dozens, if not hundreds, of runs in a given week it can be very difficult to find the run details for a specific event. If we could add a data item from a step into the name displayed in the run history that would make life a while lot easier when it comes to debugging and diagnosing issues. 

Right now I just see a page of 10 all but identical entries, and have to click through each one, across multiple pages, to find the entry I need. Being able to insert, say, an Asana task ID into the run name seems to make so much sense.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 1

Can you search by Asana item id?  or something unique about what you are looking for, like a user_id?  Usually a zap is triggered with enough payload that at least one of the field is unique enough to search by.  More detail?

Thanks @zukowskig . That would work for tracking a single task, but it’s inconsistent - for example I have a Zap that’s triggered on task update, the first step is to filter the tasks to ensure we’re only running on viable tasks. I see the task ID in the output of the filter step but searching that ID returns no results.

Additionally, and this was far from clear in the original post, a quick look at the list to see if something has been triggered multiple times in general would be useful for a ready-reckoner, without having to search individual tasks.

Userlevel 1

That’s odd, since task ID should be sent in the trigger step.  Are you searching in the zap history page?

Yep. I grabbed the ID here from the output of the filter step, and confirmed its correct against the Asana task.

Userlevel 1

can you see that same number in the payload of the trigger?  Step 1…

yeah, it’s there

Userlevel 1

OK.  Very odd.  One behavior I’ve noticed is that if you have a leading or trailing space on the search criteria, the search sometimes doesn’t show up. Can you double check that?  If not, maybe Zapier support could help...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Ben J. Boyle 

Make sure you submit feedback and feature requests via a ticket to Zapier Support to be properly logged: https://zapier.com/app/get-help