Best answer

Extracting Slack Links without Formatter Step

• 15 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

Hi,

We were working on a link Auto-Saver zap which will save links that were posted in any Slack channel and store them in an Airtable base.  When creating the zap it was noted that Slack already extracts URLs if someone posts a link within a Slack message.  It mapped them as “Attachment 0 Link:”.  This was great as it would save us a Formatter step and cut down on Task usage.  However after some time we were looking at the Airtable base and discovered that the link field was empty and was curious what was wrong.  We retested data and everything worked fine.

Then we tested the same link in the same channel with the zap on and we ended up getting the same blank field  in the Airtable where the link was supposed to be.  Eventually we did a Formatter step to extract the link from the general text but we were still wondering what is going on.

Working Fine when testing:

Field shows up empty when put into Airtable during operation:

icon

Best answer by christina.d 15 March 2023, 23:15

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @XRayTech 

It’s definitely odd that you’re getting differing outcomes from your zap tests and when things run live. 

I'm going to flag this post for the Zapier Community Team. They should have more insight on this and can escalate to the support team if needed.

Sit tight, and someone will contact you soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @XRayTech!

I checked into this and it looks like it’s a known issue, where the sample data will contain something like this…

… but the live data that comes through the Zap will not. I’ve added you as an affected user so you’ll be notified when that’s been resolved. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @XRayTech!

I checked into this and it looks like it’s a known issue, where the sample data will contain something like this…

Hey friends! 👋🏽I wanted to swing by with a belated update!

A fix has been launched and the “New Message Posted in Channel” trigger now includes attachment info for bot messages.🤖 🎉

The caveat being any attachment info from a human message will still require the workaround. My pals in docs created a tutorial for this though.

Thanks for your patience and happy zapping!⚡️