Best answer

Extract data from Gmail attachment and add rows to existing Sheets

• 1 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Hello, I’m new to zapier.

I have a weekly report set up to send to my email and I wanted it to feed into a master report.

The report is sent as xlsx and sadly can’t choose .csv option from the provider side.

At the moment I have a zap just to download the attachment to my g drive but it’s saving as xlsx so I always gotta save a Sheets copy.

Is the whole process of converting file type and then adding rows possible? If not, is only the process of saving as a Sheets possible?

Thanks for any insight.

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 2 July 2021, 16:12

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Well, today the report came and the ‘save as editable file’ option worked so that solves one side of it.

But is there any way to append the new spreadsheet info into my master spreadsheet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Selom 

For the action GDrive - Upload File, there is this setting which would convert an Excel file to a GSheet file.

Hi @Selom 

For the action GDrive - Upload File, there is this setting which would convert an Excel file to a GSheet file.

thanks Troy, I actually left another comment saying that part is working today (it wasn’t doing it yesterday) and it’s only the 2nd part I need help with but everything I post requires moderation verification so it’s not showing yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Selom 

Try this…

NOTE: It will depend on the format of the uploaded Excel file being only 1 tab and having row 1 as headers like a flat file (CSV)

Action: GDrive - Find File (for the file GSheet version of the file that was uploaded, which will have a CSV version of the file as seen in the screenshot)

Action: Formatter > Utilities > Import CSV File

Action: Looping: https://zapier.com/apps/looping/help

Action: GSheets - Create Row

@Selom

Try this…

NOTE: It will depend on the format of the uploaded Excel file being only 1 tab and having row 1 as headers like a flat file (CSV)

Action: GDrive - Find File (for the file GSheet version of the file that was uploaded, which will have a CSV version of the file as seen in the screenshot)

Hi Troy, thank you for offering this solution, I’ll have to try it once I get some quiet time at work.

@Selom

Try this…

Thanks Troy, it seems like the solution I was looking for. Since I’m not a paid customer, I won’t be able to use it after the trial is over but good to know in any case.

Thank you