Question

Exclude embedded attachments

• 14 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi there,

I’m a Zap newbie and am just trying to capture email attachments from our gmail account to our google drive. I want to include documents, spreadsheets, presentations, photo’s that may be attached to an email, but exclude embedded attachments like signatures, logo’s, icons, etc. 

What filter field(s) would you recommend? Thanks.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @MikeTak 

Good question.

You’ll want to use a Filter with conditions for the Mime Type:

NOTE: Make sure to use the Zap trigger data point shown below: “Attachment details mime type”

Here’s a reference list to the different Mime Types: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Basics_of_HTTP/MIME_types/Common_types

Give that a try and let us know how it goes.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the reference list, that helps.

My Zap is triggered by

1. New Gmail Attachment, then is
  2. filtered by Attachments MimeType text “does not end with” png'; then, the
  3. action is to upload the attached file to my google drive. 

When I test the filter it says the Zap would not continue (which is correct for the attachment test trigger). But when I test the Upload action, it still sends the second png file to Drive (there are two embedded png attachments in the email thread). Not sure why?

How can you tell the difference between an attached screen capture png file and an embedded png file like a signature? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MikeTak 

Not sure why?

Manually testing each Zap step makes use of the data points available, so it will ignore the previous Filter.

Try turning the Zap ON and testing, then check the Zap Runs to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step: https://zapier.com/app/history/

How can you tell the difference between an attached screen capture png file and an embedded png file like a signature? 

You likely won’t be able to tell the difference.